Separability Of Stochastic Production Decisions From Producer Risk Preferences In The Presence Of Financial Markets
This paper presents a unified treatment of the production and financial decisions available to a firm facing frictionless financial markets and a stochastic production technology under minimal assumptions on the firm's stochastic technology and objective function. The specific focus is on separation results for stochastic technologies, that is, on conditions under which the optimal production decision may be determined without regard to the risk preferences of the firm's owners. Necessary and sufficient conditions for separation, which generalize existing results, are presented.
|Date of creation:||2002|
|Contact details of provider:|| Phone: 301-405-1290|
Web page: http://www.arec.umd.edu/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chambers, Robert G. & Quiggin, John, 2003.
"Narrowing the no-arbitrage bounds,"
Risk and Sustainable Management Group Working Papers
150346, University of Queensland, School of Economics.
- TallariniJr., Thomas D., 2000.
"Risk-sensitive real business cycles,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 45(3), pages 507-532, June.
- Sanford J. Grossman & Joseph E. Stiglitz, 1980. "Stockholder Unanimity in Making Production and Financial Decisions," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 94(3), pages 543-566.
- Anderson, Ronald W & Danthine, Jean-Pierre, 1981. "Cross Hedging," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 89(6), pages 1182-1196, December.
- Rahi Rohit, 1995. "Optimal Incomplete Markets with Asymmetric Information," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 171-197, February.
- Chambers, Robert G. & Quiggin, John, 1997.
"Cost Functions and Duality for Stochastic Technologies,"
197844, University of Maryland, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
- Robert G. Chambers & John Quiggin, 1998. "Cost Functions and Duality for Stochastic Technologies," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 80(2), pages 288-295.
- Danthine, Jean-Pierre, 1978. "Information, futures prices, and stabilizing speculation," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 79-98, February.
- Ross, Stephen A., 1976. "The arbitrage theory of capital asset pricing," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 341-360, December.
- Jermann, Urban J., 1998. "Asset pricing in production economies," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(2), pages 257-275, April.
- repec:arz:wpaper:eres1993-121 is not listed on IDEAS
- Chambers,Robert G. & Quiggin,John, 2000.
"Uncertainty, Production, Choice, and Agency,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521622448, December.
- Clark, Stephen A., 1993. "The valuation problem in arbitrage price theory," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(5), pages 463-478.
- Holthausen, Duncan M, 1979. "Hedging and the Competitive Firm under Price Uncertainty," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 69(5), pages 989-995, December.
- Ross, Stephen A, 1987. "Arbitrage and Martingales with Taxation," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 95(2), pages 371-393, April.
- Anderson, Ronald W & Danthine, Jean-Pierre, 1983. "Hedger Diversity in Futures Markets," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 93(37), pages 370-389, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:umdrwp:28561. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.