Economic Reforms In Poland: Implications For Agriculture
Throughout the world, agriculture has become integrated into the economy at large. Therefore, it is not possible to analyze the process of economic and political transformation of agriculture without reference to the general thrust and speed of reform (Pasour, 1992). In this paper, we will argue that Poland, like other countries in Central and Eastern Europe, faces a dilemma of economic and political reform. Further, we will discuss some of the central variables which tend to constrain the process of economic transition and recovery. Following we will first discuss some of the central effects of partial and stepwise economic reform. Second, we will analyze the pros and cons of economic shock therapy, i.e., of a rapid switch to a market economic system and its implications for institutional change. Third, we will try to shed light on some of the political economic aspects of transformation. Fourth we will discuss a number of factors constraining the speed of economic recovery. We will conclude with some remarks about the prospects for economic transition in Polish agriculture.
|Date of creation:||1993|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 332 Classroom Office Bldg, 1994 Buford Avenue, St. Paul, MN 55108-6040|
Phone: (612) 625-8713
Fax: (612) 625-6245
Web page: http://www.cifap.umn.edu/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Karp, Larry S. & Stefanou, Spiro E., 1993.
"Domestic And Trade Policy For Central And East European Agriculture,"
51110, International Agricultural Trade Research Consortium.
- Larry Karp & Spiro Stefanou, 1994. "Domestic and trade policy for Central and East European agriculture 1," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 2(3), pages 345-371, 09.
- Karp, Larry & Stefanou, Spiro, 1993. "Domestic and Trade Policy for Central and East European Agriculture," CEPR Discussion Papers 814, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gardner, Bruce L, 1987. "Causes of U.S. Farm Commodity Programs," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 95(2), pages 290-310, April.
- Pasour, E C, Jr, 1992. "The Institutional Framework and Agricultural Development: Implications of the Economic Calculation Debate," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 19(3), pages 365-375.
- Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1991. "Reversing the Soviet Economic Collapse," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 22(2), pages 341-367.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:umciwp:14408. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.