The U.S. Food Marketing System: Recent Developments, 1997-2006
Major recent developments in the U.S. food system include the increasing presence of nontraditional grocery retailers, such as supercenters and drugstores, and competitive responses by traditional grocers, such as supermarket chains. These developments have contributed to sharp increases in concentration in the grocery retail sector, changing conventional relationships among retailers, wholesalers, and manufacturers. In such a competitive domestic food market, food companies are attempting to differentiate themselves from the competition by reporting voluntary activities that demonstrate social responsibility and by more-tailored advertising campaigns and product offerings.
|Date of creation:||May 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.ers.usda.gov/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bruce Bjornson & Michael E. Sykuta, 2002. "Growth by acquisition and the performance of large food retailers," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 18(3), pages 263-281.
- Donald S. Siegel & Donald F. Vitaliano, 2007.
"An Empirical Analysis of the Strategic Use of Corporate Social Responsibility,"
Journal of Economics & Management Strategy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 16(3), pages 773-792, 09.
- Donald S. Siegel & Donald F. Vitaliano, 2006. "An Empirical Analysis of the Strategic Use of Corporate Social Responsibility," Rensselaer Working Papers in Economics 0602, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Department of Economics.
- James M. MacDonald & Michael E. Ollinger, 2005. "Technology, Labor Wars, and Producer Dynamics: Explaining Consolidation in Beefpacking," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 87(4), pages 1020-1033.
- Hamid Mohtadi & Jean D. Kinsey, 2005. "Information Exchange and Strategic Behavior in Supply Chains: Application to the Food Sector," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 87(3), pages 582-599.
- Jean D. Kinsey, 2001. "The New Food Economy: Consumers, Farms, Pharms, and Science," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(5), pages 1113-1130.
- McBride, William D. & Key, Nigel D., 2003. "Economic And Structural Relationships In U.S. Hog Production," Agricultural Economics Reports 33971, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Martinez, Stephen W. & Zering, Kelly D., 2004. "Pork Quality And The Role Of Market Organizaton," Agricultural Economics Reports 33973, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Harris, James Michael & Kaufman, Phillip R. & Martinez, Stephen W. & Price, Charlene C., 2002. "The U.S. Food Marketing System, 2002: Competition, Coordination, And Technological Innovations Into The 21st Century," Agricultural Economics Reports 34001, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:uersrr:55962. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.