New Generation Co-Operatives (Ngc) As A Model For Value-Added Agricultural Processing In Alberta: Applications To Factors Affecting Choice Of Pricing And Payment Practices By Traditional Marketing And New Generation Co-Operatives
This study examines the factors affecting choice of pricing and payment practices by traditional marketing and new generation co-operatives for commodities delivered by their members. These factors include the demographic variables related to type of co-operative organization, level of competition in commodity market, and risk-return perceptions of members and co-operatives. Data for the analysis were obtained through a mail survey. Questionnaires were send to one hundred and ninety five (195) co-operatives in mid-west states of the U.S.A. and Canada. Altogether 93 co-operatives responded to the survey. Mean score analysis, factor analysis and multinomial logit analysis were done. The results indicate that traditional marketing co-operatives are more likely to choose spot market cash price, while new generation co-operatives are more likely to choose pooling practices. Traditional marketing co-operatives appear to be concerned about the members' cash flow needs and members' uncertainty of return; they are also more responsive to increased competitive level in commodity market. New generation co-operatives are more concerned with avoiding the risk of co-operatives' operating deficits and survival of co-operatives. This has implications for new co-operatives just beginning in business.
|Date of creation:||2002|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 515 General Services Building, University of Alberta, Edmonton, AlbertaT6G 2H1|
Phone: (780) 492-4225
Fax: (780) 492-0268
Web page: http://www.rees.ualberta.ca/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dr. Joan R. Fulton & Dr. Michael Popp & Carolyn Gray, 1998. "Evolving Business Arrangements in Local Grain Marketing Cooperatives," Review of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 20(1), pages 54-68.
- Lence, Sergio H. & Hayenga, Marvin L. & Harl, Neil E., 1999.
"The Failure of Multiyear Hedge-to-Arrive Contracts,"
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 14(1).
- Lence, Sergio H. & Hayenga, Marvin L. & Harl, Neil E., 1999. "The Failure of Multi-Year Hedge-To-Arrive Contracts," Staff General Research Papers Archive 1407, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- E. Neal Blue & Marvin L. Hayenga & Sergio H. Lence & E. Dean Baldwin, 1998. "Futures spread risk in soybean multiyear hedge-to-arrive contracts," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(6), pages 467-474.
- Blue, E. N. & Hayenga, Marvin L. & Lence, Sergio H. & Baldwin, E. Dean, 1998. "Futures Spread Risk in Soybean Multi-Year Hedge-To-Arrive Contracts," Staff General Research Papers Archive 1328, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Kimberly A. Zeuli, 1999. "New Risk-Management Strategies for Agricultural Cooperatives," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 81(5), pages 1234-1239.
- Layton, David F., 2000. "Random Coefficient Models for Stated Preference Surveys," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 21-36, July.
- R. B. Y. Kim & J. Unterschultz & M. Veeman & P. Jelen, 1997. "Analysis of the Korean beef market: A study of hotel buyers' perspectives of beef imports from three major sources," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 13(4), pages 445-455.
- Unterschultz, James R. & Novak, Frank S., 1997. "Flexible Pricing and Payment Alternatives on Canadian Wheat Board Pooling For Wheat," Staff Paper Series 24070, University of Alberta, Department of Resource Economics and Environmental Sociology.
- Peter Kennedy, 2003. "A Guide to Econometrics, 5th Edition," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 5, volume 1, number 026261183x, July. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:ualbpr:24045. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.