A Risk Analysis of Converting CRP Acres to a Wheat-Sorghum-Fallow Rotation
This study examines the economic potential of producing a wheat (Triticum aesitivum) and grain sorghum (Sorghum bicolor (L.) Moench) rotation with three different tillage strategies compared to the Conservation Reserve Program (CRP) in a semi-arid region. This research uses stochastic efficiency with respect to a function (SERF) to determine the preferred management strategies under various risk preferences and utility-weighted certainty equivalent risk premiums. Yields, input rates, and field operations from an experimental field in western Kansas are used to calculate net returns for each tillage strategy. Although current net returns to crop production using reduced tillage and no-tillage strategies are higher than CRP, risk analysis indicates CRP would be the preferred strategy for some risk-averse managers.
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.saea.org/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:jaa:jagape:v:32:y:2000:i:2:p:299-315 is not listed on IDEAS
- Richardson, James W. & Klose, Steven L. & Gray, Allan W., 2000. "An Applied Procedure For Estimating And Simulating Multivariate Empirical (Mve) Probability Distributions In Farm-Level Risk Assessment And Policy Analysis," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 32(02), August.
- Pendell, Dustin L. & Perry, William R. & Williams, Jeffery R. & Barnaby, Glenn Arthur, Jr. & Lubben, Bradley D., 2003. "Mathematical Formulas For Calculating Net Returns From Participation In Government Programs, Crp, And Crop Insurance Alternatives," Staff Papers 30711, Kansas State University, Department of Agricultural Economics.
- Babcock, Bruce A. & Choi, E. Kwan & Feinerman, Eli, 1993.
"Risk and Probability Premiums for Cara Utility Function,"
Staff General Research Papers
596, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Babcock, Bruce A. & Choi, E. Kwan & Feinerman, Eli, 1993. "Risk And Probability Premiums For Cara Utility Functions," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 18(01), July.
- J. Brian Hardaker & James W. Richardson & Gudbrand Lien & Keith D. Schumann, 2004.
"Stochastic efficiency analysis with risk aversion bounds: a simplified approach,"
Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics,
Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 48(2), pages 253-270, 06.
- Hardaker, J. Brian & Richardson, James W. & Lien, Gudbrand D. & Schumann, Keith D., 2004. "Stochastic efficiency analysis with risk aversion bounds: a simplified approach," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 48(2), June.
- Schumann, Keith D. & Richardson, James W. & Lien, Gudbrand D. & Hardaker, J. Brian, 2004. "Stochastic Efficiency Analysis Using Multiple Utility Functions," 2004 Annual meeting, August 1-4, Denver, CO 19957, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Johnson, Phillip N. & Misra, Sukant K. & Ervin, R. Terry, 1997. "A Qualitative Choice Analysis Of Factors Influencing Post-Crp Land Use Decisions," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 29(01), July.
- Dustin L. Pendell & Jeffery R. Williams & Scott B. Boyles & Charles W. Rice & Richard G. Nelson, 2007. "Soil Carbon Sequestration Strategies with Alternative Tillage and Nitrogen Sources under Risk," Review of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 29(2), pages 247-268.
- Kalaitzandonakes, Nicholas G. & Monson, Michael J., 1994. "An Analysis Of Potential Conservation Effort Of Crp Participants In The State Of Missouri: A Latent Variable Approach," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 26(01), July.
- Good, Darrel L. & Irwin, Scott H., 2008. "The New Era of Corn, Soybean, and Wheat Prices," Marketing and Outlook Briefs 183493, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Department of Agricultural and Consumer Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:saeana:45985. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.