The Cattle Price Cycle: An Exploration in Simulation
The simulation of commodity prices has been undertaken using a myriad of techniques, with some omitting the cyclical component and others ignoring the presence of inter-temporal relationships expressed as autoregressive errors. This study examines the periodicity of cattle prices and the modeling of the cattle cycle for simulation purposes. The AIC criterion is used to determine lengths of various cycles to be included in a harmonic model, with a chained modeling approach providing the best representation of the cattle cycle.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (217) 333-1810
Fax: (217) 333-5538
Web page: http://www.farmdoc.uiuc.edu/nccc134/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Aadland, David, 2004.
"Cattle cycles, heterogeneous expectations and the age distribution of capital,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 28(10), pages 1977-2002, September.
- David Aadland, 2001. "Cattle Cycles, Heterogeneous Expectations and the Age Distribution of Capital," Working Papers 2002-02, Utah State University, Department of Economics.
- David Aadland, 2002. "Cattle Cycles, Heterogeneous Expectations and the Age Distribution of Capital," Others 0211002, EconWPA.
- Randal R. Rucker & Oscar R. Burt & Jeffrey T. LaFrance, 1984. "An Econometric Model of Cattle Inventories," Monash Economics Working Papers archive-25, Monash University, Department of Economics.
- Rosen, S. & Murphy, K.M. & Scheinkman, J.A., 1993.
University of Chicago - Economics Research Center
93-2, Chicago - Economics Research Center.
- Bentley, Ernest & Waters, James R. & Shumway, C. Richard, 1976. "Determining Optimal Replacement Age Of Beef Cows In The Presence Of Stochastic Elements," Southern Journal of Agricultural Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 8(02), December.
- Stephen F. Hamilton & Terry L. Kastens, 2000. "Does Market Timing Contribute to the Cattle Cycle?," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 82(1), pages 82-96.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:nccsci:37564. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.