The Cattle Price Cycle: An Exploration in Simulation
The simulation of commodity prices has been undertaken using a myriad of techniques, with some omitting the cyclical component and others ignoring the presence of inter-temporal relationships expressed as autoregressive errors. This study examines the periodicity of cattle prices and the modeling of the cattle cycle for simulation purposes. The AIC criterion is used to determine lengths of various cycles to be included in a harmonic model, with a chained modeling approach providing the best representation of the cattle cycle.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2007|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 326 Mumford Hall, MC-710, 1301 West Gregory Drive, Urbana, Illinois, 61801|
Phone: (217) 333-1810
Fax: (217) 333-5538
Web page: http://www.farmdoc.uiuc.edu/nccc134/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Aadland, David, 2004.
"Cattle cycles, heterogeneous expectations and the age distribution of capital,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 28(10), pages 1977-2002, September.
- David Aadland, 2002. "Cattle Cycles, Heterogeneous Expectations and the Age Distribution of Capital," Others 0211002, EconWPA.
- David Aadland, 2001. "Cattle Cycles, Heterogeneous Expectations and the Age Distribution of Capital," Working Papers 2002-02, Utah State University, Department of Economics.
- Rosen, Sherwin & Murphy, Kevin M & Scheinkman, Jose A, 1994.
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 102(3), pages 468-492, June.
- Sherwin Rosen & Kevin M. Murphy & Jose A. Scheinkman, 1993. "Cattle Cycles," NBER Working Papers 4403, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rosen, S. & Murphy, K.M. & Scheinkman, J.A., 1993. "Cattle Cycles," University of Chicago - Economics Research Center 93-2, Chicago - Economics Research Center.
- Stephen F. Hamilton & Terry L. Kastens, 2000. "Does Market Timing Contribute to the Cattle Cycle?," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 82(1), pages 82-96.
- Randal R. Rucker & Oscar R. Burt & Jeffrey T. LaFrance, 1984.
"An Econometric Model of Cattle Inventories,"
Monash Economics Working Papers
archive-25, Monash University, Department of Economics.
- Bentley, Ernest & Waters, James R. & Shumway, C. Richard, 1976. "Determining Optimal Replacement Age Of Beef Cows In The Presence Of Stochastic Elements," Southern Journal of Agricultural Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 8(02), December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:nccsci:37564. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.