Smallholder Income Diversification in Zambia: The Way Out of Poverty?
This paper investigates the relationship between income diversification and income change within Zambian smallholder households, and investigates what the constraints of income diversification are in this group. A panel data set of roughly 7000 smallholder farmer households interviewed in 2001 and 2004 is used. Different combinations of the four main income generating activities – farm income, agricultural wage work, non-agricultural wagework, and own-business income – are analyzed.
|Date of creation:||2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Justin S. Morrill Hall of Agriculture, 446 West Circle Dr., Rm 202, East Lansing, MI 48824-1039|
Phone: (517) 355-4563
Fax: (517) 432-1800
Web page: http://www.aec.msu.edu/agecon/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Arne Bigsten & Abebe Shimeles, 2007. "Can Africa Reduce Poverty by Half by 2015?," Development Policy Review, Overseas Development Institute, vol. 25(2), pages 147-166, 03.
- Thurlow, James & Wobst, Peter, 2004. "The road to pro-poor growth in Zambia," DSGD discussion papers 16, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Barrett, Christopher B., 1998. "Immiserized growth in liberalized agriculture," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 26(5), pages 743-753, May.
- Cheryl Doss & John McPeak & Christopher Barrett, 2006.
"Interpersonal, Intertemporal and Spatial Variation in Risk Perceptions: Evidence from East Africa,"
948, Economic Growth Center, Yale University.
- Doss, Cheryl & McPeak, John & Barrett, Christopher B., 2008. "Interpersonal, Intertemporal and Spatial Variation in Risk Perceptions: Evidence from East Africa," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 36(8), pages 1453-1468, August.
- Bigsten, Arne & Kebede, Bereket & Shimeles, Abebe & Taddesse, Mekonnen, 2003.
"Growth and Poverty Reduction in Ethiopia: Evidence from Household Panel Surveys,"
Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 87-106, January.
- Bigsten, Arne & Kebede, Bereket & Shimeles, Abebe & Taddesse , Mekonnen, 2002. "Growth and Poverty Reduction in Ethiopia: Evidence from Household Panel Surveys," Working Papers in Economics 65, University of Gothenburg, Department of Economics.
- Barrett, Christopher B. & Bezuneh, Mesfin & Clay, Daniel C. & Reardon, Thomas, 2001.
"Heterogeneous Contraints, Incentives, and Income Diversification Strategies in Rural Africa,"
179567, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Barrett, Christopher B. & Bezuneh, Mesfin & Clay, Daniel C. & Reardon, Thomas, 2001. "Heterogeneous Constraints, Incentives And Income Diversification Strategies In Rural Africa," Working Papers 14761, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Jayne, T. S., 2007.
"Trends in agricultural and rural development indicators in Zambia,"
IWMI Working Papers
H041609, International Water Management Institute.
- Jayne, Thomas S. & Govereh, Jones & Chilonda, Pius & Mason, Nicole M. & Chapoto, Antony & Haantuba, Hyde H., 2007. "Trends in Agricultural and Rural Development Indicators in Zambia," Food Security Collaborative Working Papers 54483, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Reardon, Thomas, 1997. "Using evidence of household income diversification to inform study of the rural nonfarm labor market in Africa," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 25(5), pages 735-747, May.
- Datt, Gaurav & Ravallion, Martin, 1992. "Growth and redistribution components of changes in poverty measures : A decomposition with applications to Brazil and India in the 1980s," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 275-295, April.
- Bigsten, Arne, 1988. "A note on the modelling of circular smallholder migration," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 87-91.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:midcwp:54490. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.