Zambia Horticultural Rapid Appraisal: Understanding the Domestic Value Chains of Fresh Fruits and Vegetables
The purpose of this paper is to begin generating the empirical information needed to launch a process of stakeholder consultation regarding the key challenges facing the country’s horticultural sector. The paper is based on a rapid appraisal of the sector meant to provide a broad overview; FSRP’s hope is that stakeholder input will help identify a more focused set of applied research dealing with specific issues. The paper proceeds as follows: the rest of this chapter presents the data and methods used in the research; chapter two uses national rural household survey data to characterize horticultural marketing patterns in the smallholder sector; chapter three presents results of the rapid appraisal, focusing on large scale farmers, “first sellers” in the Soweto wholesale market of Lusaka, retail traders in Lusaka and Ndola, and shoppers from a range of retail outlets in both cities; chapter four concludes with a discussion of policy and program issues.
|Date of creation:||2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (517) 355-4563
Fax: (517) 432-1800
Web page: http://www.aec.msu.edu/agecon/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Neven, David & Reardon, Thomas & Chege, Jonathan & Wang, Honglin, 2005. "Supermarkets And Consumers In Africa: The Case Of Nairobi, Kenya," Staff Papers 11584, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Dave D. Weatherspoon & Thomas Reardon, 2003. "The Rise of Supermarkets in Africa: Implications for Agrifood Systems and the Rural Poor," Development Policy Review, Overseas Development Institute, vol. 21, pages 333-355, 05.
- Chapoto, Antony & Jayne, Thomas S., 2005. "Characteristics of Individuals Afflicted by AIDS-related Mortality in Zambia," Food Security Collaborative Working Papers 54472, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Tschirley, David L. & Muendo, Kavoi Mutuku & Weber, Michael T., 2004. "Improving Kenya's Domestic Horticultural Production and Marketing System: Current Competitiveness, Forces of Change, and Challenges for the Future (Volume II: Horticultural Marketing)," Food Security Collaborative Working Papers 55156, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Dorward, Andrew & Poole, Nigel D. & Morrison, Jamie & Kydd, Jonathan & Urey, Ian, 2002. "Critical Linkages: Livelihoods, Markets And Institutions," ADU Working Papers 10919, Imperial College at Wye, Department of Agricultural Sciences.
- Megill, David J., 2004. "Recommendations on Sample Design for Post-Harvest Surveys in Zambia Based on the 2000 Census," Food Security Collaborative Working Papers 54468, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Thomas Reardon & C. Peter Timmer & Christopher B. Barrett & Julio Berdegué, 2003. "The Rise of Supermarkets in Africa, Asia, and Latin America," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 85(5), pages 1140-1146.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:midcwp:54476. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.