Smallholder Farmers Participation in Livestock Markets: The Case of Zambian Farmers
Livestock production and associated products offer significant opportunities for economic growth and poverty reduction, especially among the rural farmers in Zambia and other developing countries. However, smallholder livestock producers are characterized by low levels of market participation (Negassa, Rashid, and Gebremedhin 2011). Among many reasons cited in the literature, smallholder farmers do not participate in livestock markets because of remoteness of livestock producers from the main urban market centers, and poor road infrastructure that result in high transport costs. Understanding the determinants and livestock marketing behavior of smallholder farmers will contribute to the knowledge gap in the country regarding why poverty remains high even among households owning livestock.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Justin S. Morrill Hall of Agriculture, 446 West Circle Dr., Rm 202, East Lansing, MI 48824-1039|
Phone: (517) 355-4563
Fax: (517) 432-1800
Web page: http://www.aec.msu.edu/agecon/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nigel Key & Elisabeth Sadoulet & Alain De Janvry, 2000. "Transactions Costs and Agricultural Household Supply Response," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 82(2), pages 245-259.
- Ehui, Simeon K. & Benin, Samuel & Paulos, Zelekawork, 2009. "Policy Options for Improving Market Participation and Sales of Smallholder Livestock Producers: A case study of Ethiopia," 2009 Conference, August 16-22, 2009, Beijing, China 51789, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Lapar, M. L. & Holloway, G. & Ehui, S., 2003. "Policy options promoting market participation among smallholder livestock producers: a case study from the Phillipines," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 187-211, June.
- Costales, Achilles & Delgado, Christopher L. & Catelo, Maria Angeles & Lapar, Ma. Lucila & Tiongco, Marites & Ehui, Simeon K. & Bautista, Anne Zillah, 2007. "Scale and access issues affecting smallholder hog producers in an expanding peri-urban market: Southern Luzon, Philippines," Research reports 151, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Muyanga, Milu & Jayne, Thomas S. & Burke, William J., 2011. "Pathways into and out of Poverty: A Study of Household Wealth Dynamics in Rural Kenya," 2011 Annual Meeting, July 24-26, 2011, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 103377, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:midcwp:140902. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.