School District and Municipal Reorganization: Research Findings & Policy Proposals
This report discusses the issues of municipal and school district reorganization. For over 100 years, since the so-called progressive era in American history, the issue of local government and school organization has been an important policy debate for policymakers. Over time, local governments and school districts have grown or shrunk in response to changes in society, demographics and economics. The general trend in the United States has been for growth in the number of special districts and a major decline in the number of school districts.
|Date of creation:||2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (517) 355-4563
Fax: (517) 432-1800
Web page: http://www.aec.msu.edu/agecon/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Harvey Shapiro, 1963. "Economies of Scale and Local Government Finance," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 39(2), pages 175-186.
- Fox, William F. & Gurley, Tami, 2006. "Will consolidation improve sub-national governments ?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3913, The World Bank.
- Andrews, Matthew & Duncombe, William & Yinger, John, 2002. "Revisiting economies of size in American education: are we any closer to a consensus?," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 245-262, June.
- Duncombe, William & Yinger, John, 1993. "An analysis of returns to scale in public production, with an application to fire protection," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 52(1), pages 49-72, August.
- Wales, Terence J, 1973. "The Effect of School and District Size on Education Costs in British Columbia," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 14(3), pages 710-20, October.
- Panzar, John C & Willig, Robert D, 1981. "Economies of Scope," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(2), pages 268-72, May.
- Alberto Alesina & Reza Baqir & Caroline Hoxby, 2000.
"Political Jurisdictions in Heterogeneous Communities,"
NBER Working Papers
7859, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alberto Alesina & Reza Baqir & Caroline Hoxby, 2004. "Political Jurisdictions in Heterogeneous Communities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 112(2), pages 348-396, April.
- Hoxby, Caroline & Baqir, Reza & Alesina, Alberto, 2004. "Political Jurisdictions in Heterogeneous Communities," Scholarly Articles 4552532, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Alberto Alesina & Reza Baqir & Caroline Hoxby, 2002. "Political Jurisdictions in Heterogeneous Communities," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1949, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Walzer, Norman, 1972. "Economies of Scale and Municipal Police Services: The Illinois Experience," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 54(4), pages 431-38, November.
- Wagner, Richard E & Weber, Warren E, 1975. "Competition, Monopoly, and the Organization of Government in Metropolitan Areas," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 18(3), pages 661-84, December.
- Marvin E. Dodson & Thomas A. Garrett, 2004.
"Inefficient Education Spending in Public School Districts: A Case for Consolidation?,"
Contemporary Economic Policy,
Western Economic Association International, vol. 22(2), pages 270-280, 04.
- Thomas A. Garrett & Marvin E. Dodson, III, 2003. "Inefficient education spending in public school districts: a case for consolidation," Working Papers 2002-010, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Duncombe, William D, 1992. "Costs and Factor Substitution in the Provision of Local Fire Services," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 74(1), pages 180-84, February.
- Filer, John E & Kenny, Lawrence W, 1980. "Voter Reaction to City-County Consolidation Referenda," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 23(1), pages 179-90, April.
- Rider, Kenneth L, 1979. "The Economics of the Distribution of Municipal Fire Protection Services," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 61(2), pages 249-58, May.
- Albert Breton, 1965. "Scale Effects in Local and Metropolitan Government Expenditures," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 41(4), pages 370-372.
- Miles Finney, 1997. "Scale Economies And Police Department Consolidation: Evidence From Los Angeles," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 15(1), pages 121-127, 01.
- Stephen L. Mehay, 1979. "Intergovernmental Contracting for Municipal Police Services: An Empirical Analysis," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 55(1), pages 59-72.
- Woo Sik Kee, 1967. "Suburban Population Growth and Its Implications for Core City Finance," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 43(2), pages 202-211.
- Schuler, Richard E, 1974. "The Interaction Between Local Government and Urban Residential Location," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 64(4), pages 682-96, September.
- Daugherty, Arthur B. & Jansma, J. Dean, 1973. "Economies Of Size Among Municipal Water Authorities In Pennsylvania," Southern Journal of Agricultural Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 5(02), December.
- Deller, Steven C & Chicoine, David L & Walzer, Norman, 1988. "Economies of Size and Scope in Rural Low-Volume Roads," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 70(3), pages 459-65, August.
- Thomas G. Cowing & A. G. Holtmann, 1974. "The Distributional Impact of Local Public Service Consolidation: A Case Study," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 50(4), pages 348-363.
- Gonzalez, R A & Means, T S & Mehay, S L, 1993. " Empirical Tests of the Samuelsonian Publicness Parameter: Has the Right Hypothesis Been Tested?," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 77(3), pages 523-34, November.
- Kim, H Youn, 1987. "Economies of Scale in Multi-product Firms: An Empirical Analysis," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 54(214), pages 185-206, May.
- Hanushek, Eric A, 1986. "The Economics of Schooling: Production and Efficiency in Public Schools," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 24(3), pages 1141-77, September.
- Edelman, Mark, 2000. "Potential Cost Savings and Framework of Strategies for Improved Delivery of Government Services," Staff General Research Papers 2074, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Jay G. Chambers, 1978. "Educational Cost Differentials and the Allocation of State Aid for Elementary/Secondary Education," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 13(4), pages 459-481.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:midasp:6543. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.