Economies of Scale and Scope: A Cost Analysis of Municipal Solid Waste Services
The economics literature in municipal solid waste (MSW)markets is concerned primarily with demand-side issues and the associated policy implications. Few have studied the cost structure of this market, and none model the multiple product nature of MSWservices. We argue that the production of MSWservices has two major components Ð disposal and recycling, and that cost complementarities between the two activities may exist. Hence, we specify a multipleoutput cost structure, which models the relationship between recycling and disposal activity and investigates the extent of product-speci® c scale economies and overall scope economies in this market.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dubin, Jeffrey A. & Navarro, Peter., 1987.
"How Markets for Impure Public Goods Organize: The Case of Household Refuse Collection,"
633, California Institute of Technology, Division of the Humanities and Social Sciences.
- Dubin, Jeffrey A & Navarro, Peter, 1988. "How Markets for Impure Public Goods Organize: The Case of Household Refuse Collection," Journal of Law, Economics and Organization, Oxford University Press, vol. 4(2), pages 217-41, Fall.
- Baumol, William J, 1982. "Contestable Markets: An Uprising in the Theory of Industry Structure," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 72(1), pages 1-15, March.
- James D. Reschovsky & Sarah E. Stone, 1994. "Market incentives to encourage household waste recycling: Paying for what you throw away," Journal of Policy Analysis and Management, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 13(1), pages 120-139.
- Stevens, Barbara J, 1978. "Scale, Market Structure, and the Cost of Refuse Collection," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 60(3), pages 438-48, August.
- Scott J. Callan & Janet M. Thomas, 1997. "The Impact of State and Local Policies on the Recycling Effort," Eastern Economic Journal, Eastern Economic Association, vol. 23(4), pages 411-423, Fall.
- Marie Lynn Miranda & Jess W. Everett & Daniel Blume & Barbeau A. Roy, 1994. "Market-based incentives and residential municipal solid waste," Journal of Policy Analysis and Management, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 13(4), pages 681-698.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:uwp:landec:v:77:y:2001:i:4:p:548-560. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.