Property taxation and local public spending: the renter effect
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Bergstrom, Theodore C & Goodman, Robert P, 1973. "Private Demands for Public Goods," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 63(3), pages 280-296, June.
- Bergstrom, Theodore C & Rubinfeld, Daniel L & Shapiro, Perry, 1982. "Micro-Based Estimates of Demand Functions for Local School Expenditures," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(5), pages 1183-1205, September.
- Bogart, William T., 1991. "Observable Heterogeneity and the Demand for Local Public Spending," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association;National Tax Journal, vol. 44(2), pages 213-223, June.
- Bergstrom, Ted C, 1979. " When Does Majority Rule Supply Public Goods Efficiently?," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 81(2), pages 216-226.
- Carroll, Robert & Yinger, John, 1994. "Is the Property Tax a Benefit Tax? The Case of Rental Housing," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association;National Tax Journal, vol. 47(2), pages 295-316, June.
- Heyndels, Bruno & Smolders, Carine, 1994. "Fiscal Illusion at the Local Level: Empirical Evidence for the Flemish Municipalities," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 80(3-4), pages 325-338, September.
- Rothstein, Paul, 1993. "Decentralization and Changing Fiscal Rules in the Japanese Local Public Sector," Public Finance = Finances publiques, , vol. 48(1), pages 110-132.
- Jorge Martinez- Vazquez, 1983. "Renters' Illusion or Savvy?," Public Finance Review, , vol. 11(2), pages 237-247, April.
- Ferris, James M., 1988. "The Public Spending and Employment Effects of Local Service Contracting," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association;National Tax Journal, vol. 41(2), pages 209-217, June.
- Ferris, James M., 1988. "The Public Spending and Employment Effects of Local Service Contracting," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 41(2), pages 209-17, June.
- Bogart, William T., 1991. "Observable Heterogeneity and the Demand for Local Public Spending," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 44(2), pages 213-23, June.
- Sass, Tim R, 1991. "The Choice of Municipal Government Structure and Public Expenditures," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 71(1-2), pages 71-87, August.
- Fischel, William A, 1992. "Property Taxation and the Tiebout Model: Evidence for the Benefit View from Zoning and Voting," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 30(1), pages 171-177, March.
- Rexford Santerre, 1989. "Representative versus direct democracy: Are there any expenditure differences?," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 60(2), pages 145-154, February.
- Rubinfeld, Daniel L., 1987. "The economics of the local public sector," Handbook of Public Economics,in: A. J. Auerbach & M. Feldstein (ed.), Handbook of Public Economics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 11, pages 571-645 Elsevier.
- Lovell, Michael C, 1978. "Spending for Education: The Exercise of Public Choice," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 60(4), pages 487-495, November.
- Schwab, Robert M. & Zampelli, Ernest M., 1987. "Disentangling the demand function from the production function for local public services : The case of public safety," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 245-260, July.
- Reid, Gary J, 1991. "Tests of Institutional versus Non-institutional Models of Local Public Expenditure Determination," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 70(3), pages 315-333, June.
- Gonzalez, R A & Means, T S & Mehay, S L, 1993. "Empirical Tests of the Samuelsonian Publicness Parameter: Has the Right Hypothesis Been Tested?," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 77(3), pages 523-534, November.
- Megna, Richard H & Lee, Tong Hun, 1990. "Estimation of the Demand for Local Public Education under a Kinked Budget Constraint," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 72(4), pages 596-602, November.
- Carroll, Robert & Yinger, John, 1994. "Is the Property Tax a Benefit Tax? The Case of Rental Housing," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 47(2), pages 295-316, June.
- Wittman, Donald, 1989. "Why Democracies Produce Efficient Results," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 97(6), pages 1395-1424, December.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Edmund M. Balsdon, 2012. "Property Value Capitalization and Municipal Open Space Referenda," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 88(2), pages 201-232.
- Roland Füss & Oliver Lerbs, 2017. "Homeowner Effect and Strategic Interaction in Local Property Taxation," ERES eres2017_149, European Real Estate Society (ERES).
- Füss, Roland & Lerbs, Oliver, 2017.
"Do local governments tax homeowner communities differently?,"
ZEW Discussion Papers
17-036, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Fuess, Roland & Lerbs, Oliver, 2017. "Do Local Governments Tax Homeowner Communities Differently?," Working Papers on Finance 1714, University of St. Gallen, School of Finance.
- Lerbs, Oliver & Füss, Roland, 2017. "Do Local Governments Tax Homeowner Communities Differently?," Annual Conference 2017 (Vienna): Alternative Structures for Money and Banking 168128, Verein für Socialpolitik / German Economic Association.
- Brunner, Eric J. & Ross, Stephen L. & Simonsen, Becky K., 2015.
"Homeowners, renters and the political economy of property taxation,"
Regional Science and Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 53(C), pages 38-49.
- Eric J. Brunner & Stephen L. Ross & Rebecca K. Simonsen, 2013. "Homeowners, Renters and the Political Economy of Property Taxation," Working papers 2013-30, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics.
- Roberto Dell'Anno & Vincenzo Maria De Rosa, 2013. "The Relevance of the Theory of Fiscal Illusion. The Case of the Italian Tax System," HISTORY OF ECONOMIC THOUGHT AND POLICY, FrancoAngeli Editore, vol. 2013(2), pages 63-92.
- Giovanna Messina & Marco Savegnago, 2015. "Le imposte sulla prima casa in Italia, un equilibrio difficile fra decentramento e redistribuzione," ECONOMIA PUBBLICA, FrancoAngeli Editore, vol. 2015(3), pages 5-29.
- H. Spencer Banzhaf & Wallace E. Oates, 2012. "On Fiscal Illusion and Ricardian Equivalence in Local Public Finance," NBER Working Papers 18040, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- H. Spencer Banzhaf & Wallace E. Oates, 2013. "On Fiscal Illusion in Local Public Finance: Re-Examining Ricardian Equivalence and the Renter Effect," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association;National Tax Journal, vol. 66(3), pages 511-540, September.
- Massimiliano Ferraresi & Leonzio Rizzo, 2015.
"L’impatto della contabilità euro-compatibile in un’auspicabile evoluzione del patto di stabilità interno,"
FrancoAngeli Editore, vol. 2015(3), pages 31-57.
- Massimiliano Ferraresi & Leonzio Rizzo, 2015. "L’impatto della contabilità euro-compatibile in un’auspicabile evoluzione del patto di stabilità interno," Working papers 24, Società Italiana di Economia Pubblica.
- Roberto Dell’Anno & Jorge Martinez-Vazquez, 2013. "A Behavioral Local Public Finance Perspective on the Renter’s Illusion Hypothesis," International Center for Public Policy Working Paper Series, at AYSPS, GSU paper1303, International Center for Public Policy, Andrew Young School of Policy Studies, Georgia State University.
- repec:eee:regeco:v:66:y:2017:i:c:p:150-174 is not listed on IDEAS
- Eric J. Brunner & Jon Sonstelie, 2006. "California's School Finance Reform: An Experiment in Fiscal Federalism," Working papers 2006-09, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics.
More about this item
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:juecon:v:57:y:2005:i:3:p:419-431. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/622905 .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.