Potential Cost Savings and Framework of Strategies for Improved Delivery of Government Services
This Preliminary Assessment represents a response to an important and timely request for information from the Governor’s Strategic Planning Council. This report represents a limited response based on findings and principles from existing applied studies, academic literature, and input from a knowledgeable range of expertise represented on the Iowa Research Council Public Finance Study Development Committee. The intended purpose of this report is to provide a basis for discussion by the Governor’s Strategic Planning Council as well as other state and local policymakers, leaders and citizens. The specific questions provided to the Iowa Research Council included: (1) Is there potential to generate savings from consolidation of public services across counties, schools and cities? (2) Will any potential savings from government consolidation be significant enough to fund major new statewide initiatives? (3) Is telecommunications technology changing the economies of scale for provision of public services? (4) What are the alternative strategies for efficient provision of public services in areas of growth and decline?
|Date of creation:||01 May 2000|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +1 515.294.6741
Fax: +1 515.294.0221
Web page: http://www.econ.iastate.edu
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jacques, Charles & Brorsen, B. Wade & Richter, Francisca G.-C., 2000. "Consolidating Rural School Districts: Potential Savings And Effects On Student Achievement," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 32(03), December.
- Edelman, Mark & Knudsen, James J., 1990. "A Classic Economies of Size Analysis of Average School Costs: An Iowa Case Study," Staff General Research Papers 11035, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Edelman, Mark & Raun, Terry, 1995. "Does Rural Court Consolidation Save Costs? An Iowa Case Study," Staff General Research Papers 5219, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Thomas A. Downes & Jacquelyn L. Horowitz, 1995. "An analysis of the effect of Chicago school reform on student performance," Economic Perspectives, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago, issue May, pages 13-35.
- Otto, Daniel & Edelman, Mark, 1990. "Innovation in Structural Change of Local Government," Staff General Research Papers 10965, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Steven C. Deller & John M. Halstead, 1994. "Efficiency in the Production of Rural Road Services: The Case of New England Towns," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 70(2), pages 247-259.
- Walden, Michael L. & Sisak, Mark R., 1999. "School Inputs And Educational Outcomes In North Carolina: Comparison Of Static And Dynamic Analyses," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 31(03), December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:isu:genres:2074. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Curtis Balmer)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.