A Preliminary Assessment: 2001 Court Restructuring Plan Impacts on Three Iowa Counties
A preliminary study is one that is conducted to develop an initial framework of analysis and/or to gain an initial assessment to provide enough understanding of the research issue so as to inform the direction of a more complete and comprehensive data collection, study analysis, and policymaking deliberation. On November 8, 2001, the Iowa General Assembly and Governor approved a 4.3 percent across-the-board state budget reduction. This reduced the Judicial Branch budget by $5.5 million. In anticipation of and in response to fiscal concerns, the Judicial Branch announced plans for restructuring the Iowa court system. Iowa citizens and community and interest group leaders are interested in having the impacts of the proposals identified and assessed to assist in informing state and local discussions and future decisions. It is the result of this interest for which the Department of Economics and Iowa Vitality Center at Iowa State University have undertaken this study. The Iowa State Bar Association contributed funding for the project. The author has developed a significant track record and expertise in conducting numerous studies on related public finance and government structure issues for Iowa policymakers, leaders and citizens during the past 15 years. He is solely responsible for directing this study, the study findings and the conclusions. The purpose of study is to provide an objective assessment of the impacts and to gather local observations and perspectives that may be useful in public discussions and planning next steps toward future public decisions.
|Date of creation:||01 Jan 2002|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Iowa State University, Dept. of Economics, 260 Heady Hall, Ames, IA 50011-1070|
Phone: +1 515.294.6741
Fax: +1 515.294.0221
Web page: http://www.econ.iastate.edu
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Edelman, Mark & Mayer, Adrian J., 2002. "A Rural Community Developer's Guide To Jail Alternatives and Costs," Staff General Research Papers Archive 10075, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Edelman, Mark A., Dr. & Menz, Brian L., 1995. "A Cost Analysis of Providing Vital Statistics Services by Iowa Local Government," ISU General Staff Papers 199501160800001261, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Raun, Terry L. & Edelman, J.D. & Edelman, Mark A., 1994. "A Preliminary Study of the Economic Implications From Court Service Delivery Consolidation in Rural Iowa: Phase I Report," ISU General Staff Papers 199402040800001250, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Edelman, Mark A., Dr., 2000. "Potential Cost Savings and Framework of Strategies for Improved Delivery of Government Services," ISU General Staff Papers 200005010700001337, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Edelman, Mark, 2000. "Potential Cost Savings and Framework of Strategies for Improved Delivery of Government Services," Staff General Research Papers Archive 2074, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Edelman, Mark A., Dr. & Mayer, Adrian J., 1997. "An Analysis of Costs by Size of Jail for Selected Counties in Iowa," ISU General Staff Papers 199712200800001289, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Edelman, Mark & Raun, Terry, 1995. "Does Rural Court Consolidation Save Costs? An Iowa Case Study," Staff General Research Papers Archive 5219, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:isu:genres:2046. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Curtis Balmer)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.