Policy Reform in Sub Saharan Africa
Agricultural adjustment policies in sub Saharan Africa have not delivered substantial increases in agricultural growth. We examine alternative explanations for this and argue that transitions and thresholds in agricultural growth processes are not sufficiently recognised and understood in dominant policy discourses. This is a particular problem with market failures for goods and services with private good characteristics and we need a greater emphasis on and understanding of the causes and nature of coordination failures which lead to these market failures. This paper examines core features of poor rural areas, the nature of coordination problems faced by different potential economic actors, the impacts of these problems on markets and economic development, and the ways that these have been addressed or ignored in different policies and policy approaches in Asia and Africa in the last 40 years. We conclude by drawing out the implications for policies seeking to promote pro-poor economic growth in poor rural areas today.
|Date of creation:||2003|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://agadjust.aers.psu.edu/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kherallah, Mylène & Delgado, Christopher L. & Gabre-Madhin, Eleni Z. & Minot, Nicholas & Johnson, Michael, 2000.
"The road half traveled,"
2, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- de Meza, David & Gould, J R, 1992. "The Social Efficiency of Private Decisions to Enforce Property Rights," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 100(3), pages 561-580, June.
- Hall, Peter A. & Soskice, David (ed.), 2001. "Varieties of Capitalism: The Institutional Foundations of Comparative Advantage," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199247752, December.
- Poulton, Colin & Gibbon, Peter & Hanyani-Mlambo, Benjamine & Kydd, Jonathan & Maro, Wilbald & Larsen, Marianne Nylandsted & Osorio, Afonso & Tschirley, David & Zulu, Ballard, 2004. "Competition and Coordination in Liberalized African Cotton Market Systems," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 519-536, March.
- Andrew Dorward, 2001. "The Effects of Transaction Costs, Power and Risk on Contractual Arrangements: A Conceptual Framework for Quantitative Analysis," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 52(2), pages 59-73.
- Gaur, Sanjay, 1997. "Adelman and Morris factor analysis of developing countries," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 407-415, August.
- Adelman, Irma & Morris, Cynthia Taft, 1997. "Editorial: Development history and its implications for development theory," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 25(6), pages 831-840, June.
- Block, Steven A., 1995. "The recovery of agricultural productivity in sub-Saharan Africa," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 20(5), pages 385-405, October.
- Dorward, Andrew & Kydd, Jonathan & Morrison, Jamie & Urey, Ian, 2002.
"A Policy Agenda For Pro Poor Agricultural Growth,"
ADU Working Papers
10923, Imperial College at Wye, Department of Agricultural Sciences.
- Jonathan Kydd & Andrew Dorward, 2006.
"Implications of Market and Coordination Failures for Rural Development in Least Developed Countries,"
- Jonathan Kydd & Andrew Dorward, 2004. "Implications of market and coordination failures for rural development in least developed countries," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(7), pages 951-970.
- Jayne, T. S. & Jones, Stephen, 1997. "Food marketing and pricing policy in Eastern and Southern Africa: A survey," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 25(9), pages 1505-1527, September.
- Jayne, T. S. & Govereh, J. & Mwanaumo, A. & Nyoro, J. K. & Chapoto, A., 2002. "False Promise or False Premise? The Experience of Food and Input Market Reform in Eastern and Southern Africa," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 30(11), pages 1967-1985, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:iapr03:15749. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.