The patterns of retail price variation. The case of milk products
We examine retail price variation across a range of milk products in Hungary. Our results show that majority of products have regular prices and the most deviations from that regular price are upward. We find significant differences across products in terms of price distributions. Sales are infrequent for majority of products and its role is limited in annual price variation. Results do not confirm that durable goods should have qualitatively different pricing pattern than less-durable goods. Although existing models of retail sales yield predictions consistent with some aspects of the retail pricing distributions, all of these models fail to explain other important aspects of retail pricing identified here.
|Date of creation:||29 Jun 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.iaae-agecon.org/|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Daniel Hosken & David Reiffen, 2004. "Patterns of Retail Price Variation," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 35(1), pages 128-146, Spring.
- Berck, Peter & Brown, Jennifer & Perloff, Jeffrey M & Villas-Boas, Sofia B., 2007.
"Sales: Tests of Theories on Causality and Timing,"
Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley, Working Paper Series
qt2g56n1jk, Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley.
- Villas-Boas, Sofia B & Perloff, Jeff & Berck, Peter & Brown, Jen, 2008. "Sales: Tests of Theories on Causality and Timing," Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley, Working Paper Series qt0076k5r6, Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley.
- Berck, Peter & Brown, Jennifer & Perloff, Jeffrey M. & Villas-Boas, Sofia B, 2007. "Sales : tests of theories on causality and timing," CUDARE Working Paper Series 1031, University of California at Berkeley, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics and Policy.
- Villas-Boas, J Miguel, 1995. "Models of Competitive Price Promotions: Some Empirical Evidence from the Coffee and Saltine Crackers Markets," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 4(1), pages 85-107, Spring.
- Martin Pesendorfer, 2002. "Retail Sales: A Study of Pricing Behavior in Supermarkets," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 75(1), pages 33-66, January.
- Hoy F. Carman & Richard J. Sexton, 2005. "Supermarket fluid milk pricing practices in the western United States," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 21(4), pages 509-530.
- Varian, Hal R, 1980. "A Model of Sales," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(4), pages 651-59, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:iaae09:51670. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.