Influence Of The Integration Of Agroholdings With Russian Farms On Total Factor Productivity And Its Subcomponents
The impact of group affiliation to agroholdings on enterprise performance in terms of productivity and efficiency is controversially discussed in the literature. However, only few papers evaluate the effects of group membership on the productivity and efficiency of agricultural enterprises in Russia. The underlying research question of this paper is therefore whether farms that belong to agroholdings perform better than independent farms. We calculate partial land and labor productivity, total factor productivity (TFP) and technical efficiency scores for the two categories of independent farms and members of agroholdings. In this paper a production function approach is estimated in the framework of stochastic frontier analysis. The results are used to decompose TFP into a technological change effect and a technical efficiency effect. The results show a different trend than observed in previous studies. We show that the growth of agroholdings’ TFP exceeds by far the development of the TFP of independent farms and that group affiliation has a positive impact on the performance of farms.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Bundesallee 50, 38116 Braunschweig|
Phone: 0531 / 596 5501
Fax: 0531 / 596 5599
Web page: http://www.gewisola.de/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wandel, Jurgen, 2007. "Integrated Structures, Market Forces and Competition in Russia's Agro-Food Sector: An Assessment from the Perspective of the Austrian School of Economics," 102nd Seminar, May 17-18, 2007, Moscow, Russia 10019, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Dries, Liesbeth & Germenji, Etleva & Noev, Nivelin & Swinnen, Johan F.M., 2009. "Farmers, Vertical Coordination, and the Restructuring of Dairy Supply Chains in Central and Eastern Europe," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 37(11), pages 1742-1758, November.
- Raushan Bokusheva & Heinrich Hockmann, 2006.
"Production risk and technical inefficiency in Russian agriculture,"
European Review of Agricultural Economics,
Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 33(1), pages 93-118, March.
- Bokusheva, Raushan & Hockmann, Heinrich, 2005. "Production Risk and Technical Inefficiency in Russian Agriculture," 2005 International Congress, August 23-27, 2005, Copenhagen, Denmark 24610, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Hockmann, Heinrich & Bokusheva, Raushan & Bezlepkina, Irina V., 2007. "Agroholdings membership: does that make a difference in performance?," 102nd Seminar, May 17-18, 2007, Moscow, Russia 10023, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Caves, Douglas W & Christensen, Laurits R & Diewert, W Erwin, 1982. "Multilateral Comparisons of Output, Input, and Productivity Using Superlative Index Numbers," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 92(365), pages 73-86, March.
- Stefan Osborne & Michael A. Trueblood, 2006. "An examination of economic efficiency of Russian crop production in the reform period," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 34(1), pages 25-38, 01.
- Rylko, Dmitri & Jolly, Robert W., 2005. "Russia's New Agricultural Operators: Their Emergence, Growth and Impact," Staff General Research Papers Archive 12635, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Liefert, William M., 2007. "Measuring the Success of Agricultural Transition: An Application to Russia," 104th Seminar, September 5-8, 2007, Budapest, Hungary 8528, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Diewert, W. E., 1976. "Exact and superlative index numbers," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 4(2), pages 115-145, May. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:gewi11:114508. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.