Cod today and none tomorrow: The Economic Value of a Marine Reserve
The northern cod fishery was once one of the world’s largest capture fisheries. Using data from the fishery, this research calculated the economic value of a marine reserve using a stochastic optimal control model with a jump-diffusion process. The analysis shows that, an optimal-sized marine reserve in this fishery would have prevented the fishery’s collapse and generated a triple payoff. Even if harvesting had been ‘optimal’ the profits from fishing would have been raised. The recovery time would also have decreased for the biomass to return to its former state and smoothed fishers’ harvests and profits. Following a negative shock, the chance of a catastrophic collapse would have been lowered.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +61 2 6125 4705
Fax: +61 2 6125 5448
Web page: http://www.crawford.anu.edu.au/research_units/eerh/Email:
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:cup:macdyn:v:1:y:1997:i:1:p:45-75 is not listed on IDEAS
- Jess Gaspar & Kenneth L. Judd, 1997.
"Solving Large Scale Rational Expectations Models,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0207, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sanchirico, James N. & Wilen, James E., 2001. "A Bioeconomic Model of Marine Reserve Creation," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 257-276, November.
- Daniel E. Lane & Halldor P. Palsson, 1996. "Stock Rebuilding Strategies under Uncertainty: The Case for "Sentinel Fisheries."," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 29(s1), pages 151-56, April.
- R. Quentin Grafton & Leif K. Sandal & Stein Ivar Steinshamn, 2000. "How to Improve the Management of Renewable Resources: The Case of Canada's Northern Cod Fishery," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 82(3), pages 570-580.
- Pezzey, John C. V. & Roberts, Callum M. & Urdal, Bjorn T., 2000. "A simple bioeconomic model of a marine reserve," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 77-91, April.
- Caddy, J. F. & Gulland, J. A., 1983. "Historical patterns of fish stocks," Marine Policy, Elsevier, vol. 7(4), pages 267-278, October.
- Kevin Fox & Robert Hill & W. Diewert, 2004. "Identifying Outliers in Multi-Output Models," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 22(1), pages 73-94, July.
- Smith, Martin D. & Wilen, James E., 2003. "Economic impacts of marine reserves: the importance of spatial behavior," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 183-206, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:eerhrr:94822. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.