Willingness to Pay for Irradiated Food: A Non Hypothetical Market Experiment
This paper focuses on estimating consumers' willingness to pay for and willingness to accept irradiated food using a non-hypothetical experiment utilizing real food products (i.e., irradiated ground beef), real cash, and actual exchange in a market setting. Single-bounded and one and one-half bounded models are developed using dichotomous choice contingent valuation experiments. Our results indicate that average willingness to pay values range from 75.43 to 78.51 cents per pound while average willingness to accept values range from 69.49 to 81.63 cents per pound of irradiated ground beef.
|Date of creation:||2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.eaae.org|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dermot J. Hayes & Jason F. Shogren & Seung Youll Shin & James B. Kliebenstein, 1995.
"Valuing Food Safety in Experimental Auction Markets,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 77(1), pages 40-53.
- Hayes, Dermot J. & Shogren, Jason F. & Shin, Seung Youll & Kliebenstein, James, 1995. "Valuing Food Safety in Experimental Auction Markets," Staff General Research Papers 835, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Alew, Wipon & Nayga, Rodolfo M., Jr. & Nichols, John P., 2003. "The Promise of Food Irradiation: Will Consumers Accept It?," Choices, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 18(3).
- Shogren, Jason F. & Shin, Seung Youll & Hayes, Dermot J. & Kliebenstein, James, 1994.
"Resolving Differences in Willingness to Pay and Willingness to Accept,"
Staff General Research Papers
701, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Shogren, Jason F. & Seung Y. Shin & Dermot J. Hayes & James B. Kliebenstein, 1994. "Resolving Differences in Willingness to Pay and Willingness to Accept," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 84(1), pages 255-70, March.
- Cooper Joseph C., 1993. "Optimal Bid Selection for Dichotomous Choice Contingent Valuation Surveys," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 25-40, January.
- Trudy Ann Cameron & John Quiggin, 1992.
"Estimation Using Contingent Valuation Data From a "Dichotomous Choice with Follow-Up" Questionnaire,"
UCLA Economics Working Papers
653, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Cameron Trudy Ann & Quiggin John, 1994. "Estimation Using Contingent Valuation Data from a Dichotomous Choice with Follow-Up Questionnaire," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 218-234, November.
- Horowitz, John K. & McConnell, Kenneth E., 2002. "A Review of WTA/WTP Studies," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 44(3), pages 426-447, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:eaae84:24995. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.