Capturing Uncertainties in Evaluation of Biofuels Feedstocks: A Multi-Criteria Approach for the US
Current research evaluating biofuels policies focuses primarily on market-economic criteria. While it is widely acknowledged that both the economic and environmental, and social aspects of biofuels policy must all be balanced with each other in the process of developing a viable biofuels policy, little progress has been made to date on evaluating these uncertain non-market relationships. In this paper, we develop a fuzzy theory holistic approach evaluating the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd generation biofuels feedstocks in meeting multiple economic, environmental and social criteria of the biofuels policies and capturing the uncertainties of evaluation processes. We use a multi-criteria approach PROMETHEE (Preference Ranking Organization Method for Enrichment Evaluations) and fuzzy set theory to show how missing information, fuzziness, and ambiguity in decision making processes can be considered for a sustainable biofuels policy evaluation.
|Date of creation:||02 Sep 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.eaae.org|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wiesenthal, Tobias & Leduc, Guillaume & Christidis, Panayotis & Schade, Burkhard & Pelkmans, Luc & Govaerts, Leen & Georgopoulos, Panagiotis, 2009. "Biofuel support policies in Europe: Lessons learnt for the long way ahead," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 789-800, May.
- Harrison, R. Wes, 2009. "The Food versus Fuel Debate: Implications for Consumers," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 41(02), August.
- Banse, Martin & van Meijl, Hans & Tabeau, Andrzej A. & Woltjer, Geert B., 2008. "Impact of EU Biofuel Policies on World Agricultural and Food Markets," 107th Seminar, January 30-February 1, 2008, Sevilla, Spain 6476, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- de Gorter, Harry & Just, David R. & Tan, Qinwen, 2009. "The Socially Optimal Import Tariff and Tax Credit for Ethanol with Farm Subsidies," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 38(1), April.
- Meyer, Seth D. & Westhoff, Patrick C. & Thompson, Wyatt, 2009. "Impacts of Selected US Ethanol Policy Options," FAPRI-MU Report Series 50486, Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute at University of Missouri.
- R. E. Bellman & L. A. Zadeh, 1970. "Decision-Making in a Fuzzy Environment," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 17(4), pages B141-B164, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:eaae11:115980. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.