Impact of EU Biofuel Policies on World Agricultural and Food Markets
This paper assesses the global and sectoral implications of the EU biofuels directive in a multi-region computable general equilibrium framework. Our results show that without mandatory blending or subsidies to stimulate the use of biofuel crops in the petroleum sector the targets of the EU Biofuel directive will not the reached in 2010. With mandatory blending the enhanced demand for biofuel crops has a strong impact on agriculture at the global and European level. The additional demand from the energy sector might slow down or reverse the long term process of declining agricultural prices.
|Date of creation:||2008|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.eaae.org|
More information through EDIRC
Keywords: Biofuels; EU biofuel directive; agricultural markets; Computable General Equilibrium modeling; Agribusiness; International Relations/Trade; Research and Development/Tech Change/Emerging Technologies; Resource /Energy Economics and Policy;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-11-25 (All new papers)
- Becker, Arno, 2008. "Biomass for energy production in the context of selected European and international policy objectives," 2008 International Congress, August 26-29, 2008, Ghent, Belgium 43974, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Chakravorty, Ujjayant & Hubert, Marie-Hélène & Moreaux, Michel & Nøstbakken, Linda, 2010.
"Will Biofuel Mandates Raise Food Prices?,"
IDEI Working Papers
653, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Chakravorty, Ujjayant & Hubert, Marie-Hélène & Moreaux, Michel & Nøstbakken, Linda, 2010. "Will Biofuel Mandates Raise Food Prices?," TSE Working Papers 10-212, Toulouse School of Economics (TSE).
- Chakravorty, Ujjayant & Hubert, Marie-HÃ©lÃ¨ne & Moreaux, Michel & Nostbakken, Linda, 2010. "Will Biofuel Mandates Raise Food Prices?," LERNA Working Papers 10.20.326, LERNA, University of Toulouse.
- Chakravorty, Ujjayant & Hubert, Marie-Helene & Moreaux, Michel & Nostbakken, Linda, 2011. "Will Biofuel Mandates Raise Food Prices?," Working Papers 2011-1, University of Alberta, Department of Economics, revised 01 May 2011.
- Hertel, Thomas & Tyner, Wally & Birur, Dileep, 2008. "Biofuels for all? Understanding the Global Impacts of Multinational Mandates," GTAP Working Papers 2809, Center for Global Trade Analysis, Department of Agricultural Economics, Purdue University.
- Hertel, Thomas W. & Tyner, Wallace E. & Birur, Dileep K., 2008. "Biofuels for all? Understanding the Global Impacts of Multinational Mandates," 2008 Annual Meeting, July 27-29, 2008, Orlando, Florida 6526, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Festel, Gunter & Würmseher, Martin & Rammer, Christian & Boles, Eckhard & Bellof, Martin, 2013. "Modelling production cost scenarios for biofuels and fossil fuels in Europe," ZEW Discussion Papers 13-075, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Thomas Hertel & Jevgenijs Steinbuks & Uris Baldos, 2013. "Competition for land in the global bioeconomy," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 44(s1), pages 129-138, November.
- Hertel, Thomas & Jevgenijs Steinbuks & Uris Lantz Baldos, 2012. "Competition for Land in the Global Bioeconomy," GTAP Working Papers 3982, Center for Global Trade Analysis, Department of Agricultural Economics, Purdue University.
- Hertel, Thomas W. & Steinbuks, Jevgenijs & Baldos, Uris Lantz C., 2012. "Competition for Land in the Global Bioeconomy," 2012 Conference, August 18-24, 2012, Foz do Iguacu, Brazil 129614, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- De Lucia, Caterina & Bartlett, Mark, 2014. "Implementing a biofuel economy in the EU: Lessons from the SUSTOIL project and future perspectives for next generation biofuels," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 29(C), pages 22-30.
- Chantreuil, Frederic & Tabeau, Andrzej A. & van Leeuwen, Myrna, 2008. "Estimation of impact of EU agricultural policies on the world market prices," 107th Seminar, January 30-February 1, 2008, Sevilla, Spain 6671, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Thaeripour, Farzad & Hertel, Thomas W. & Tyner, Wallace E. & Beckman, Jayson F. & Birur, Dileep K., 2008. "Biofuels and their By-Products: Global Economic and Environmental Implications," 2008 Annual Meeting, July 27-29, 2008, Orlando, Florida 6452, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Dixon, Peter & van Meijl, Hans & Rimmer, Maureen & Shutes, Lindsay & Tabeau, Andrzej, 2013. "RED vs. REDD: Biofuel Policy vs. Forest Conservation," Factor Markets Working Papers 152, Centre for European Policy Studies.
- Dixon, Peter & van Meijl, Hans & Rimmer, Maureen & Shutes, Lindsay & Tabeau, Andrzej, 2013. "RED vs. REDD: Biofuel Policy vs. Forest Conservation," Working Papers 152082, Factor Markets, Centre for European Policy Studies.
- Ramírez Triana, Carlos Ariel, 2011. "Energetics of Brazilian ethanol: Comparison between assessment approaches," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(8), pages 4605-4613, August.
- Antoine BOUET & Betina DIMARANAN & Hugo VALIN, 2009. "Biofuels in the world markets: A Computable General Equilibrium assessment of environmental costs related to land use changes," Working Papers 6, CATT - UPPA - Université de Pau et des Pays de l'Adour, revised Nov 2009.
- Ziolkowska, Jadwiga & Simon, Leo K. & Zilberman, David, 2011. "Capturing Uncertainties in Evaluation of Biofuels Feedstocks: A Multi-Criteria Approach for the US," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 115980, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Sukati, Mphumuzi, 2014. "The South African Bio ethanol blend mandate and its implications on regional agricultural markets and welfare," MPRA Paper 57702, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Santamaría, Marta & Azqueta, Diego, 2015. "Promoting biofuels use in Spain: A cost-benefit analysis," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 50(C), pages 1415-1424.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:eaa107:6476. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.
Follow series, journals, authors & more
New papers by email
Subscribe to new additions to RePEc
Public profiles for Economics researchers
Various rankings of research in Economics & related fields
Who was a student of whom, using RePEc
Curated articles & papers on various economics topics
Upload your paper to be listed on RePEc and IDEAS
Blog aggregator for economics research
Cases of plagiarism in Economics
Job Market Papers
RePEc working paper series dedicated to the job market
Pretend you are at the helm of an economics department
Services from the StL Fed
Data, research, apps & more from the St. Louis Fed