Are Local Corn Prices Affected by the Location of Ethanol Biorefineries?
This study examines whether the local competition for corn to produce ethanol has lead to significantly higher prices for farmers located close to ethanol biorefineries. If any, such price premiums for spatial closeness would be in addition to the general level of corn price changes experienced by farmers throughout the U.S. The difference-in-differences estimation method is used to account for both time and spatial differences in order to measure the interaction of time and spatial effects. Using the USDA’s ARMS data, the results show that while prices in real terms have changed over time, farmers located close to ethanol biorefineries have not received significantly higher prices than farmers living farther away from biorefineries. These findings indicate that there is a lack of evidence for price premiums due to spatial closeness to ethanol plants.
|Date of creation:||02 Sep 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.eaae.org|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Xiaodong Du & David A. Hennessy & William M. Edwards, 2008.
"Does a Rising Biofuels Tide Raise All Boats? A Study of Cash Rent Determinants for Iowa Farmland under Hay and Pasture,"
Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications
08-wp479, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Du Xiaodong & Hennessy David & Edwards William A., 2008. "Does a Rising Biofuels Tide Raise All Boats? A Study of Cash Rent Determinants for Iowa Farmland under Hay and Pasture," Journal of Agricultural & Food Industrial Organization, De Gruyter, vol. 6(2), pages 1-25, December.
- Kleiber, Kandice, 2009. "The Effect of Ethanol-Driven Corn Demand on Crop Choice," 2009 Annual Meeting, July 26-28, 2009, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 49616, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Sarmiento, Camilo & Wilson, William W., 2008.
"Spatial Competition And Ethanol Plant Location Decisions,"
2008 Annual Meeting, July 27-29, 2008, Orlando, Florida
6175, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Camilo Sarmiento & William W. Wilson & Bruce Dahl, 2012. "Spatial Competition and Ethanol Plant Location Decisions," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 28(3), pages 260-273, 06.
- Sarmiento, Camilo & Wilson, William W., 2007. "Spatial Competition And Ethanol Plant Location Decisions," Agribusiness & Applied Economics Report 9236, North Dakota State University, Department of Agribusiness and Applied Economics.
- Ani L. Katchova & Mario J. Miranda, 2004. "Two-Step Econometric Estimation of Farm Characteristics Affecting Marketing Contract Decisions," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 86(1), pages 88-102.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:eaae11:114769. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.