Less social health insurance, more private supplementary insurance? Empirical evidence from Germany
Based on individual level data from Germany, we analyze the effect of changes in the compulsory benefit package of the social health insurance on the demand for supplementary private insurance, employing a difference-in-differences approach. The focus is on the exclusion of dental prostheses from the benefit package in 1997 and its re-inclusion in 1999. Individuals born prior to 1979 serve as control group because only the young were affected by the reform. No significant effect on the demand for supplementary health insurance is found. Thus, the notion of clients making informed choices about their health insurances' coverage is not supported.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chamberlain, Gary, 1980. "Analysis of Covariance with Qualitative Data," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 47(1), pages 225-38, January.
- Axel Olaf Kern, 2003. "Ausgliederung von Leistungen fuer Zahnersatz aus der gesetzlichen Krankenversicherung - Eigenverantwortung der Versicherten und Folgen fuer die GKV -," Discussion Paper Series 248, Universitaet Augsburg, Institute for Economics.
- repec:rwi:dpaper:0012 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:rwi:dpaper:0043 is not listed on IDEAS
- Kate Bundorf, M., 2002. "Employee demand for health insurance and employer health plan choices," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 65-88, January.
- Augurzky, Boris & Bauer, Thomas K. & Schaffner, Sandra, 2006. "Copayments in the German Health System - Do They Work?," RWI Discussion Papers 43, Rheinisch-Westfälisches Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung (RWI).
- Bauer, Thomas & Bender, Stefan & Bonin, Holger, 2004.
"Dismissal Protection and Worker Flows in Small Establishments,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4379, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Thomas K. Bauer & Stefan Bender & Holger Bonin, 2007. "Dismissal Protection and Worker Flows in Small Establishments," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 74(296), pages 804-821, November.
- Bauer, Thomas K. & Bender, Stefan & Bonin, Holger, 2004. "Dismissal Protection and Worker Flows in Small Establishments," IZA Discussion Papers 1105, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Bauer, Thomas K. & Bender, Stefan & Bonin, Holger, 2004. "Dismissal protection and worker flows in small establishments," IAB Discussion Paper 200401, Institut für Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung (IAB), Nürnberg [Institute for Employment Research, Nuremberg, Germany].
- Marcus Tamm & Harald Tauchmann & Jürgen Wasem & Stefan Gre�, 2007. "Elasticities of market shares and social health insurance choice in germany: a dynamic panel data approach," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(3), pages 243-256.
- Correa, H. & Namkoong, K., 1992. "Determinants and effects of health policy," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 41-63, February.
- Warshawsky, Mark J., 1999. "An Enhanced Macroeconomic Approach to Long-Range Projections of Health Care and Social Security Expenditures as a Share of GDP," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 21(4), pages 413-426, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jpolmo:v:33:y:2011:i:3:p:470-480. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.