Is Organic Food A Quality Attribute Or A Product Category?
The present study investigates the relationships between consumer categorization of organic versus non-organic food products, consumers’ underlying perceptions of organic food, and their propensity to consume organic foods. A choice experiment is used to test these relations in a case study involving consumer preferences for attributes relating to milk. First and foremost, we find a strong link between how consumers categorize food and their organic profile. Second, our study supports earlier findings which indicate that certain socio-demographic variables are important drivers of organic demand together with beliefs in organic foods possessing positive attributes. Third, we find that knowledge concerning a claim stating that milk from grazing cows is healthier serves as a way to categorize consumers.
|Date of creation:||2010|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.eaae.org|
More information through EDIRC
Postal:555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Biing-Hwan Lin & Steven T. Yen & Chung L. Huang & Travis A. Smith, 2009. "U.S. Demand for Organic and Conventional Fresh Fruits: The Roles of Income and Price," Sustainability, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 1(3), pages 1-15, August.
- Monier Sylvette & Hassan Daniel & Nichèle Véronique & Simioni Michel, 2009. "Organic Food Consumption Patterns," Journal of Agricultural & Food Industrial Organization, De Gruyter, vol. 7(2), pages 1-25, December.
- Rachel Griffith & Lars Nesheim, 2008.
"Household willingness to pay for organic products,"
CeMMAP working papers
CWP18/08, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Griffith, Rachel & Nesheim, Lars, 2008. "Household Willingness to Pay for Organic Products," CEPR Discussion Papers 6905, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Wier, Mette & O'Doherty Jensen, Katherine & Andersen, Laura Mørch & Millock, Katrin, 2008. "The character of demand in mature organic food markets: Great Britain and Denmark compared," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(5), pages 406-421, October.
- Mette Wier & Katherine O'Doherty Jensen & Laura Morch Andersen & Katrin Millock, 2008. "The Character of Demand in Mature Organic Food Markets: Great Britain and Denmark Compared," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00343683, HAL.
- Zhang, Feng & Huang, Chung L. & Lin, Biing-Hwan & Epperson, James E., 2006. "National Demand For Fresh Organic And Conventional Vegetables: Scanner Data Evidence," 2006 Annual meeting, July 23-26, Long Beach, CA 21107, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Train,Kenneth E., 2009. "Discrete Choice Methods with Simulation," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521766555, September.
- Train,Kenneth E., 2009. "Discrete Choice Methods with Simulation," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521747387, August.
- Kenneth Train, 2003. "Discrete Choice Methods with Simulation," Online economics textbooks, SUNY-Oswego, Department of Economics, number emetr2.
- Glaser, Lewrene K. & Thompson, Gary D., 1999. "Demand For Organic And Conventional Frozen Vegetables," 1999 Annual meeting, August 8-11, Nashville, TN 21583, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Thompson, Gary D. & Glaser, Lewrene K., 2001. "National Demand For Organic And Conventional Baby Food," 2001 Annual Meeting, July 8-11, 2001, Logan, Utah 36139, Western Agricultural Economics Association.
- Anders, Sven M. & Moeser, Anke, 2008. "Using Retail Scanner Data to Assess the Demand for Value-based Ground Meat Products in Canada," 2008 International Congress, August 26-29, 2008, Ghent, Belgium 44154, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Glaser, Lewrene K. & Thompson, Gary D., 2000. "Demand For Organic And Conventional Beverage Milk," 2000 Annual Meeting, June 29-July 1, 2000, Vancouver, British Columbia 36346, Western Agricultural Economics Association. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:eaa115:116389. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.