Food Demand, Food Prices and Welfare Analysis utilizing EASI model
The impacts of rising food prices on poverty and welfare of Mexican households are examined by using a linearized version of the Exact Affine Stone Index (EASI) demand system. The distribution of monetary measures of welfare effects from food price changes is estimated as well as equivalence scales that allow inter-household comparison of welfare changes. After accounting for substitution effects, poverty related impacts were estimated. Findings indicate that the increase in prices of five food groups from 2006 to 2010 has led to an increment of 1.8 percentage points in the proportion of households with income below the food poverty line.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wood, Benjamin D.K. & Nelson, Carl H. & Nogueira, Lia, 2012. "Poverty effects of food price escalation: The importance of substitution effects in Mexican households," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 77-85.
- Maros Ivanic & Will Martin, 2008. "Implications of higher global food prices for poverty in low-income countries-super-1," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 39(s1), pages 405-416, November.
- Arthur Lewbel & Krishna Pendakur, 2009.
"Tricks with Hicks: The EASI Demand System,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 99(3), pages 827-63, June.
- Ivanic, Maros & Martin, Will, 2008. "Implications of higher global food prices for poverty in low-income countries," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4594, The World Bank.
- Héctor J. Villarreal & Juan Carlos Chávez & Ricardo Cantú & Horacio González, 2008. "Impacto del Incremento en los Precios de los Alimentos en la Pobreza en México," Working Papers 20081, Centro de Estudios de las Finanzas Públicas, H. Cámara de Diputados, revised Jul 2008.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aaea13:150521. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.