Farm Wealth Implications of Canadian Agricultural Business Risk Management Programs
This paper examines the effect of Canadian agricultural business risk management (BRM) programs on farm financial performance. Monte Carlo simulation is used to model stochastic prices and production for a representative Alberta cropping operation. Net present value (NPV) analysis is used to evaluate BRM program participation. Participation is modeled for AgriInvest, AgriStability, and AgriInsurance. Adoption of select BMPs is also modeled to examine the impact of BRM programs on incentives to adopt environmental stewardship practices. Results indicate that BRM program participation significantly improves farm financial performance with a corresponding reduction in risk. Much of the benefit from participation comes from subsidization associated with the programs. While recent changes to BRM programs result in reduced support, the impact on representative farm performance is small. BRM program participation reinforces incentives to adopt BMPs that already have positive net benefits (e.g., crop rotation BMPs) and increases the magnitude of disincentives (i.e., net costs) associated with adoption of land use BMPs such as wetland restoration or buffer strips. The results from this analysis raise questions related to both risk management and environmental policy in terms of policy effectiveness, efficiency and compatibility.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Olivier Mahul & Charles J. Stutley, 2010. "Government Support to Agricultural Insurance : Challenges and Options for Developing Countries," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 2432.
- James Rude & Alan Ker, 2013. "Transfer Efficiency Analysis of Margin-Based Programs," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 61(4), pages 509-529, December.
- Marra, Michele C. & Schurle, Bryan W., 1994. "Kansas Wheat Yield Risk Measures And Aggregation: A Meta- Analysis Approach," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 19(01), July.
- Mario J. Miranda & Joseph W. Glauber, 1997. "Systemic Risk, Reinsurance, and the Failure of Crop Insurance Markets," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(1), pages 206-215.
- Pannell, David J. & Hailu, Getu & Weersink, Alfons & Burt, Amanda, 2007.
"More Reasons Why Farmers Have So Little Interest in Futures Markets,"
9232, University of Western Australia, School of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
- David J. Pannell & Getu Hailu & Alfons Weersink & Amanda Burt, 2008. "More reasons why farmers have so little interest in futures markets," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 39(1), pages 41-50, 07.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aaea13:149881. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.