Analyzing Market Price Transmission, Government Intervention and Weather Shocks for Rice Market in the Philippines
In the Philippines, where rice is considered the most important food crop, attempts to influence rice prices have been prevalent. The government, through National Food Authority (NFA) has sought to establish stocks and control imports to stabilize prices since its establishment in 1972 to support farm gate prices and reduce retail price of rice. But data shows divergence in retail prices and farm prices since mid 1960s. In this paper, we use vector autoregression (VAR) to analyze the movement of Philippine rice margins with government stocks and weather supply shocks to able to determine government effectiveness in actual times of market stress. Comparing VARs across regions, we are able to identify the regions in which price margins are significantly affected by government intervention measures.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202|
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hayami, Yujiro & Kikuchi, Masao & Morooka, Kazuko, 1989.
"Market price response of world rice research,"
Blackwell, vol. 3(4), pages 333-343, December.
- Hayami, Yujiro & Kikuchi, Masao & Morooka, Kazuko, 1989. "Market Price Response of World Rice Research," Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 3(4), December.
- Mahar Mangahas & Aida E. Recto & V. W. Ruttan, 1966. "Price and Market Relationships for Rice and Corn in the Philippines," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 48(3_Part_I), pages 685-703.
- Schroeter, John R, 1988. "Estimating the Degree of Market Power in the Beef Packing Industry," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 70(1), pages 158-162, February.
- Schroeter, John R., 1988. "Estimating the Degree of Market Power in the Beef Packing Industry," Staff General Research Papers Archive 11114, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Dawe, David C. & Moya, Piedad F. & Casiwan, Cheryll B. & Cabling, Jesusa M., 2008. "Rice marketing systems in the Philippines and Thailand: Do large numbers of competitive traders ensure good performance?," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(5), pages 455-463, October.
- Allan D. Brunner, 2002. "El Niño and World Primary Commodity Prices: Warm Water or Hot Air?," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 84(1), pages 176-183, February.
- Allan D. Brunner, 1998. "El Nino and world primary commodity prices: warm water or hot air?," International Finance Discussion Papers 608, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Allan D. Brunner, 2000. "El Nino and World Primary Commodity Prices; Warm Water or Hot Air?," IMF Working Papers 00/203, International Monetary Fund.
- T. A. Lloyd & S. McCorriston & C. W. Morgan & A. J. Rayner, 2006. "Food scares, market power and price transmission: the UK BSE crisis," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 33(2), pages 119-147, June.
- Appelbaum, Elie, 1982. "The estimation of the degree of oligopoly power," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2-3), pages 287-299, August.
- S. McCorriston & C. W. Morgan & A. J. Rayner, 1998. "Processing Technology, Market Power and Price Transmission," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(2), pages 185-201.
- David, Cristina C & Huang, Jikun, 1996. "Political Economy of Rice Price Protection in Asia," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 44(3), pages 463-483, April.
- John Schroeter & Azzeddine Azzam, 1991. "Marketing Margins, Market Power, and Price Uncertainty," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 73(4), pages 990-999.
- Schroeter, John R. & Azzam, Azzeddine M., 1991. "Marketing Margins, Market Power, and Price Uncertainty," Staff General Research Papers Archive 11110, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Martinez, Elmer & Shively, Gerald E. & Masters, William J., 1998. "Testing The Link Between Public Intervention And Food Price Variability: Evidence From Rice Markets In The Philippines," 1998 Annual meeting, August 2-5, Salt Lake City, UT 20883, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Wohlgenant, Michael K., 2001. "Marketing margins: Empirical analysis," Handbook of Agricultural Economics,in: B. L. Gardner & G. C. Rausser (ed.), Handbook of Agricultural Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 16, pages 933-970 Elsevier.
- Param Silvapulle & Sisira Jayasuriya, 1994. "Testing For Philippines Rice Market Integration: A Multiple Cointegration Approach," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 45(3), pages 369-380. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aaea11:103163. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.