Effects Of The Suspension Agreement: U.S.-Mexico Fresh Tomatoes Antidumping Case
This paper analyzes the effects of the suspension agreement of the U.S.-Mexico fresh tomatoes antidumping cases on U.S. consumers. A linear and dynamic version of an inverse almost ideal demand system is developed to estimate consumer behavior. The measure of consumer welfare – compensating and equivalent variations – is derived specifically for the inverse demand system. The variation of cross-price flexibilities obviously reduced since the minimum export price system came into effect, but consumer welfare does not seem to change much in the circumstance. The consumers’ budget share on domestic fresh tomatoes is likely to reduce and it suggests that the suspension agreement may not guarantee the profit of domestic producers either.
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.orgEmail:
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hicks, J. R., 1986. "A Revision of Demand Theory," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198285502.
- Brown, Mark G & Lee, Jonq-Ying & Seale, James L, Jr, 1995. "A Family of Inverse Demand Systems and Choice of Functional Form," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 20(3), pages 519-30.
- Kathy Baylis & Jeffrey M. Perloff, 2010. "Trade diversion from tomato suspension agreements," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 43(1), pages 127-151, February.
- Grant, Jason H. & Foster, Kenneth A., 2005. "An Inverse Almost Ideal Demand System of Fresh Tomatoes in the U.S," 2005 Annual meeting, July 24-27, Providence, RI 19193, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Eales, James S. & Unnevehr, Laurian J., 1994. "The inverse almost ideal demand system," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 101-115, January.
- Moschini, GianCarlo & Vissa, Anuradha, 1992. "A Linear Inverse Demand System," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 17(02), December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aaea09:49285. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.