Extreme coefficients in Geographically Weighted Regression and their effects on mapping
This study deals with the issue of extreme coefficients in geographically weighted regression (GWR) and their effects on mapping coefficients using three datasets with different spatial resolutions. We found that although GWR yields extreme coefficients regardless of the resolution of the dataset or types of kernel function, 1) the GWR tends to generate extreme coefficients for less spatially dense datasets, 2) coefficient maps based on polygon data representing aggregated areal units are more sensitive to extreme coefficients, and 3) coefficient maps using bandwidths generated by a fixed calibration procedure are more vulnerable to the extreme coefficients than adaptive calibration.
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Seong-Hoon Cho & Christopher D. Clark & William M. Park & Seung Gyu Kim, 2009. "Spatial and Temporal Variation in the Housing Market Values of Lot Size and Open Space," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 85(1), pages 51-73.
- Partridge, Mark D. & Rickman, Dan S., 2007. "Persistent Pockets of Extreme American Poverty and Job Growth: Is There a Place-Based Policy Role?," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 32(01), April.
- Dan-Lin Yu, 2006. "Spatially varying development mechanisms in the Greater Beijing Area: a geographically weighted regression investigation," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 40(1), pages 173-190, March.
- Lambert, Dayton M. & McNamara, Kevin T. & Garrett, Megan I., 2006. "An Application of Spatial Poisson Models to Manufacturing Investment Location Analysis," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 38(01), April.
- Luc Anselin, 2001. "Spatial Effects in Econometric Practice in Environmental and Resource Economics," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(3), pages 705-710.
- David Wheeler & Michael Tiefelsdorf, 2005. "Multicollinearity and correlation among local regression coefficients in geographically weighted regression," Journal of Geographical Systems, Springer, vol. 7(2), pages 161-187, 06.
- Deller, Steven C. & Lledo, Victor, 2007. "Amenities and Rural Appalachia Economic Growth," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 36(1), April.
- Steven Farber & Antonio Páez, 2007. "A systematic investigation of cross-validation in GWR model estimation: empirical analysis and Monte Carlo simulations," Journal of Geographical Systems, Springer, vol. 9(4), pages 371-396, December.
- McMillen, Daniel P., 1996. "One Hundred Fifty Years of Land Values in Chicago: A Nonparametric Approach," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 100-124, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aaea09:49117. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.