The Impact of Agricultural Policy Distortions on the Productivity Gap: Evidence from the Rice Production
This study determines how production and trade policy distortions affected rice productivity in thirty-three rice-producing countries. A rice-productivity index for each country is constructed, and a model linking the productivity gap with policy distortions is presented. After controlling for the differences in infrastructure, openness, and human capital, this article shows that high subsidies and protection in developed countries combined with taxation of rice farming in poor countries have widened the gap in rice productivity between rich and poor rice countries.
|Date of creation:||2008|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202|
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Evenson, Robert E. & Pray, Carl E. & Rosegrant, Mark W., 1999. "Agricultural research and productivity growth in India:," Research reports 109, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Carter, Colin A. & Chen, Jing & Chu, Baojin, 1999. "Agricultural Productivity Growth In China: Farm Level Versus National Measurement," Working Papers 11954, University of California, Davis, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
- Van Biesebroeck, Johannes, 2005.
"Exporting raises productivity in sub-Saharan African manufacturing firms,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 67(2), pages 373-391, December.
- Johannes Van Biesebroeck, 2003. "Exporting Raises Productivity in Sub-Saharan African Manufacturing Plants," NBER Working Papers 10020, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Nguyen, Hoa & Grote, Ulrike, 2004. "Agricultural policies in Vietnam," MTID discussion papers 79, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Coe, David T & Helpman, Elhanan & Hoffmaister, Alexander W, 1997. "North-South R&D Spillovers," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 107(440), pages 134-149, January.
- David T. Coe & Elhanan Helpman & Alexander Hoffmaister, 1995. "North-South R&D Spillovers," NBER Working Papers 5048, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Coe, David T & Helpman, Elhanan & Hoffmaister, Alexander, 1995. "North-South R&D Spillovers," CEPR Discussion Papers 1133, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ransom, J.K. & Paudyal, K. & Adhikari, Keshav R., 2003. "Adoption of improved maize varieties in the hills of Nepal," Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 29(3), December.
- Mullen, Kathleen & Sun, Dongsheng & Orden, David & Gulati, Ashok, 2004. "Producer Support Estimates (PSEs) for agriculture in developing countries," MTID discussion papers 74, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Rodolfo Cermeño & G. S. Maddala & Michael A. Trueblood, 2003. "Modeling Technology as a Dynamic Error Components Process: The Case of the Inter-country Agricultural Production Function†," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 22(3), pages 289-306, January.
- Ransom, J. K. & Paudyal, K. & Adhikari, K., 2003. "Adoption of improved maize varieties in the hills of Nepal," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 29(3), pages 299-305, December.
- Adriana Schor, 2004. "Heterogeneous Productivity Response to Tariff Reduction: Evidence from Brazilian Manufacturing Firms," NBER Working Papers 10544, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Thomas, Marcelle & Orden, David, 2004. "Agricultural policies in Indonesia," MTID discussion papers 78, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Gail L. Cramer & James M. Hansen & Eric J. Wailes, 1999. "Impact of Rice Tariffication on Japan and the World Rice Market," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 81(5), pages 1149-1156.
- Mullen, Kathleen & Orden, David & Gulati, Ashok, 2005. "Agricultural policies in India," MTID discussion papers 82, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Nin, Alejandro & Hertel, Thomas W. & Foster, Kenneth & Rae, Allan, 2004. "Productivity growth, catching-up and uncertainty in China's meat trade," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 31(1), pages 1-16, July.
- Weiss, Allen M, 1994. "The Effects of Expectations on Technology Adoption: Some Empirical Evidence," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(4), pages 341-360, December. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aaea08:6154. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.