Demand behavior of U.S. high fructose corn syrup (HFCS) and its implication for the U.S. sweetener market: a cointegration analysis
This paper investigates the relationship between U.S. HFCS demand and refined sugar price. A cointegration analysis is utilized to investigate possible linkages between these markets. The coefficients on the ECM have the expected signs, and they measure adjustments towards long-run equilibrium. The study result also shows that there is cointegration in a relationship including, HFCS price, the refined sugar price, and income. the increase in HFCS demand would affect primarily the quantity of sugar imports negatively. However, this study does not necessarily support such a conclusion due to the exclusion of noneconomic factors such as change in consumer preference and health concern.
|Date of creation:||2005|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202|
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Amani Elobeid & John Beghin, 2006.
"Multilateral Trade and Agricultural Policy Reforms in Sugar Markets,"
Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 57(1), pages 23-48, 03.
- Elobeid, Amani E. & Beghin, John C., 2004. "Multilateral Trade and Agricultural Policy Reforms in Sugar Markets," 2004 Annual meeting, August 1-4, Denver, CO 20045, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Amani Elobeid & John C. Beghin, 2005. "Multilateral Trade and Agricultural Policy Reforms in Sugar Markets," Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications 04-wp356, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Amani Elobeid & John C. Beghin, 2005. "Multilateral Trade and Agricultural Policy Reforms in Sugar Markets," Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) Publications 04-wp356, Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) at Iowa State University.
- Lopez, Rigoberto A. & Sepulveda, Jorge L., 1985. "Changes In The U.S. Demand For Sugar And Implications For Import Policies," Northeastern Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 14(2), October.
- Lopez, Rigoberto A., 1990. "Economic Surpluses In The U.S. Sugar Market," Northeastern Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 19(1), April.
- Jonathan C. Brooks & A. Colin Cameron & Colin A. Carter, 1998. "Political Action Committee Contributions and U.S. Congressional Voting on Sugar Legislation," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 80(3), pages 441-454.
- Hal Hill & Budy P. Resosudarmo, 2012. "Introduction," Bulletin of Indonesian Economic Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 48(2), pages 129-142, August.
- Schmitz, Andrew & Seale, James L., Jr. & Schmitz, Troy G., 2003. "Sweetener-Ethanol Complex in Brazil, the United States, and Mexico: Do Corn and Sugar Prices Matter?," Policy Briefs 15666, University of Florida, International Agricultural Trade and Policy Center.
- Rendleman, C. Matthew & Hertel, Thomas W., 1993. "Do Corn Farmers Have Too Much Faith In The Sugar Program?," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 18(01), July.
- Evans, Edward A. & Ward, Ronald W. & Davis, Carlton George, 2001. "Time Varying Parameters In The Demand For High Fructose Corn Syrup," 2001 Annual meeting, August 5-8, Chicago, IL 20541, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
- Koo, Won W. & Taylor, Richard D. & Mattson, Jeremy W., 2003. "Impacts Of The U.S.-Central America Free Trade Agreement On The U.S. Sugar Industry," Special Reports 23069, North Dakota State University, Center for Agricultural Policy and Trade Studies.
- Charles Moss & Andrew Schmits, 2002. "Price behaviour in the US sweetener market: a cointegration approach," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(10), pages 1273-1281. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aaea05:19564. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.