Off-farm Income and Risky Investments: What Happens to Farm and Nonfarm Assets?
Off-farm work improves and reduces the riskiness of household income. Theoretical analyses reveal that the level and riskiness of off-farm income affect demand for farm/nonfarm investments. A two-limit Tobit model is estimated using ARMS data for 1996-2003. The impact on investment behaviour is evaluated.
|Date of creation:||2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.orgEmail:
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Deaton, Angus, 1985. "Panel data from time series of cross-sections," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 30(1-2), pages 109-126.
- Verbeek, M. & Nijman, T., 1990.
"Can Cohort Data Be Treated As Genuine Panel Data,"
9064, Tilburg - Center for Economic Research.
- Serra, Teresa & Goodwin, Barry K. & Featherstone, Allen M., 2004. "Determinants Of Investments In Non-Farm Assets By Farm Households," 2004 Annual meeting, August 1-4, Denver, CO 20329, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Guiso, Luigi & Jappelli, Tullio, 2000.
"Household Portfolios in Italy,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2549, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Huffman, Wallace E., 1991. "Agricultural Household Models: Survey and Critique," Staff General Research Papers 11008, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Cochrane, Willard W., 1987. "Saving the Modest-Sized Farm Or, The Case For Part-Time Farming," Choices, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 2(2).
- Guiso, Luigi & Jappelli, Tullio & Terlizzese, Daniele, 1994.
"Income Risk, Borrowing Constraints and Portfolio Choice,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
888, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Guiso, Luigi & Jappelli, Tullio & Terlizzese, Daniele, 1996. "Income Risk, Borrowing Constraints, and Portfolio Choice," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 86(1), pages 158-72, March.
- Ayal Kimhi & Eliel Rapaport, 2004. "Time Allocation between Farm and Off-Farm Activities in Israeli Farm Households," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 86(3), pages 716-721.
- repec:dgr:kubcen:200055 is not listed on IDEAS
- Gardner, Bruce L, 1992. "Changing Economic Perspectives on the Farm Problem," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 30(1), pages 62-101, March.
- Andersson, Hans & Ramamurtie, Sailesh & Ramaswami, Bharat, 2003. "Labor income and risky investments: can part-time farmers compete?," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 50(4), pages 477-493, April.
- Christoph R. Weiss, 1999. "Farm Growth and Survival: Econometric Evidence for Individual Farms in Upper Austria," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 81(1), pages 103-116.
- Schmitt, Gunther, 1989. "Farms, Farm Households, and Productivity of Resource Use in Agriculture," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 16(2), pages 257-84.
- Teresa Serra & Barry K. Goodwin & Allen M. Featherstone, 2005. "Agricultural Policy Reform and Off-farm Labour Decisions," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 56(2), pages 271-285.
- Almas Heshmati & Subal C. Kumbhakar, 1997. "Estimation Of Technical Efficiency In Swedish Crop Farms: A Pseudo Panel Data Approach," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 48(1-3), pages 22-37.
- Hochguertel, Stefan & Alessie, Rob & van Soest, Arthur, 1997. " Saving Accounts versus Stocks and Bonds in Household Portfolio Allocation," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 99(1), pages 81-97, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aaea05:19480. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.