Derived Demand for Cattle Feeding Inputs
Derived demand relationships among four weight categories of feeder cattle entering Texas feedlots and feed were examined using a Generalized McFadden dual cost function specified as an error correction model. Relationships among own- and cross-price elasticities provide evidence for at least two cattle feeding enterprises, feeding lightweight feeder cattle (calves) and feeding heavier cattle. These results indicate systematic differences in demand relationships among the different weight classes, providing explanation and insight into mixed results from earlier studies. Seasonality differed across weight categories, providing additional support for multiple cattle feeding enterprises. A third step was added to the Engle-Granger two-step estimation procedure to incorporate information provided in the second step.
|Date of creation:||2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Arnade, Carlos & Pick, Daniel, 1998.
"Seasonality and unit roots: the demand for fruits,"
Blackwell, vol. 18(1), pages 53-62, January.
- Mark, Darrell R. & Schroeder, Ted C. & Jones, Rodney D., 2000. "Identifying Economic Risk In Cattle Feeding," Journal of Agribusiness, Agricultural Economics Association of Georgia, vol. 18(3).
- Kevin C. Dhuyvetter & Ted C. Schroeder, 2000. "Price-Weight Relationships for Feeder Cattle," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 48(3), pages 299-310, November.
- Schroeder, Ted C. & Albright, Martin L. & Langemeier, Michael R. & Mintert, James R., 1993. "Determinants of Cattle Feeding Profit and Cost of Gain Variability," Staff Papers 118161, Kansas State University, Department of Agricultural Economics.
- Marsh, John M., 1999. "Economic Factors Determining Changes In Dressed Weights Of Live Cattle And Hogs," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 24(02), December.
- Kastens, Terry L. & Schroeder, Ted C., 1994. "Cattle Feeder Behavior And Feeder Cattle Placements," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 19(02), December.
- Friesen, J. & Capalbo, S. & Denny, M., 1992.
"Dynamic factor demand equations in U.S. and Canadian agriculture,"
Blackwell, vol. 6(3), pages 251-266, February.
- Friesen, J. & Capalbo, Susan Marie & Denny, M., 1992. "Dynamic factor demand equations in U.S. and Canadian agriculture," Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 6(3), February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aaea05:19454. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.