Decoupling farm policies: how does this affect production?
This paper studies the extent to which decoupled income support measures in agriculture can have production implications both at the extensive and intensive margins. We develop a theoretical framework that analyzes production responses of agricultural producers to apparently decoupled payments, by explicitly considering risk attitudes and uncertainty. We use farm-level data collected in Kansas to estimate the model. Technology and risk preference parameters are jointly estimated. Results show that though lump sum payments are not fully decoupled in the presence of risk and uncertainty, their effects on agricultural production are likely to be of a very small magnitude.
|Date of creation:||2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chambers, Robert G., 1995. "The incidence of agricultural policies," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 57(2), pages 317-335, June.
- Sckokai, Paolo & Moro, Daniele, 2002. "Modelling The Cap Arable Crop Regime Under Uncertainty," 2002 Annual meeting, July 28-31, Long Beach, CA 19860, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Guyomard & Baudry & Carpentier, 1996.
"Estimating crop supply response in the presence of farm programmes : application to the CAP,"
153134, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, France.
- Guyomard, Herve & Baudry, Marc & Carpentier, Alain, 1996. "Estimating Crop Supply Response in the Presence of Farm Programmes: Application to the CAP," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 23(4), pages 401-20.
- Just, Richard E. & Pope, Rulon D., 1978. "Stochastic specification of production functions and economic implications," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 67-86, February.
- Gardner, Bruce L, 1992. "Changing Economic Perspectives on the Farm Problem," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 30(1), pages 62-101, March.
- Bar-Shira, Z. & Just, R.E. & Zilberman, D., 1997.
"Estimation of farmers' risk attitude: an econometric approach,"
Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists,
International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 17(2-3), December.
- Bar-Shira, Z. & Just, R. E. & Zilberman, D., 1997. "Estimation of farmers' risk attitude: an econometric approach," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 17(2-3), pages 211-222, December.
- Bar-Shira, Z. & Just, Richard E. & Zilberman, David, 1994. "Estimation of Farmers' Risk Attitude: An Econometric Approach," Working Papers 197812, University of Maryland, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
- Murat Isik & Madhu Khanna, 2003.
"Stochastic Technology, Risk Preferences, and Adoption of Site-Specific Technologies,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 85(2), pages 305-317.
- Isik, Murat & Khanna, Madhu, 2002. "Stochastic Technology, Risk Preferences And Adoption Of Site-Specific Technologies," 2002 Annual meeting, July 28-31, Long Beach, CA 19858, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Just, Richard E & Zilberman, David, 1986. "Does the Law of Supply Hold under Uncertainty?," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 96(382), pages 514-24, June.
- Hennessy, David A., 1998.
"The Production Effects of Agricultural Income Support Policies Under Uncertainty,"
Staff General Research Papers
1207, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- David A. Hennessy, 1998. "The Production Effects of Agricultural Income Support Policies under Uncertainty," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 80(1), pages 46-57.
- Newbery, D M G & Stiglitz, J E, 1979. "The Theory of Commodity Price Stabilisation Rules: Welfare Impacts and Supply Responses," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 89(356), pages 799-817, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aaea05:19194. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.