Effects of WIC Program Participation on Food Consumption and Diet Quality
This paper examines the effect of WIC program Participation on food consumption and diet quality of U.S. children between 2 and 4 years of age. Diet quality is assessed using the Healthy Eating Index, U.S. Department of Agriculture's instrument for measuring overall diet quality incorporating ten recommended components of dietary guidelines. The study has found that WIC program participation has significant positive influence in improving diet quality as measured by HEI and several of its components. The analysis has also indicated that the WIC program has significant positive influence in reducing sugar consumption by children. This research and the results presented have potential significance for researchers, economists and policy makers focusing on the determinants of children's diets and the role of Federal food assistance and nutrition education programs.
|Date of creation:||2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202|
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Parke E. Wilde & Paul E. McNamara & Christine K. Ranney, 1999. "The Effect of Income and Food Programs on Dietary Quality: A Seemingly Unrelated Regression Analysis with Error Components," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 81(4), pages 959-971.
- John Strauss & Duncan Thomas, 1998.
"Health, Nutrition, and Economic Development,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 36(2), pages 766-817, June.
- Variyam, Jayachandran & Blaylock, James R. & Smallwood, David, 1998.
"USDA's Healthy Eating Index and Nutrition Information,"
184379, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Variyam, Jayachandran N. & Blaylock, James R. & Smallwood, David & Basiotis, P. Peter, 1998. "USDA's Healthy Eating Index and Nutrition Information," Technical Bulletins 156811, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Variyam, Jayachandran N. & Blaylock, James R. & Smallwood, David M. & Basiotis, P. Peter, 1998. "USDA's Healthy Eating Index and Nutrition Information," Technical Bulletins 33588, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Variyam, Jayachandran N., 2001. "Wic Participation And The Nutrient Intake Of Preschoolers," 2001 Annual meeting, August 5-8, Chicago, IL 20623, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aaea03:22226. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.