Exchange Rate Effects On Canadian/U.S. Agricultural Prices
Exchange rate effects on prices in Canada and the United States are evaluated for five traded farm outputs (wheat, soybeans, corn, feeder steers, and slaughter steers) and four traded non-farm-produced inputs (fertilizer, pesticides, petroleum, and farm machinery). Unit root tests suggest the series are stationary in first differences. Short-run dynamic models based on the differences specification adopted earlier by Carter, Grey and Furtan (1990) are re-estimated using similar data over an extended period that encompasses recent exchange rate movements. The analysis confirms that short-run adjustments toward the law of one price occur for the five agricultural outputs and to a lesser extent for the three intermediate inputs, while such price adjustment is refuted for farm machinery. Cointegration tests also show price convergence to stationary long-run equilibrium relationships for the five farm outputs but not for the inputs.
|Date of creation:||2002|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202|
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kenneth A. Froot & Michael Kim & Kenneth Rogoff, 1995.
"The Law of One Price Over 700 Years,"
NBER Working Papers
5132, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kenneth Rogoff & Kenneth Froot & Michael Kim, 2001. "The Law of One Price Over 700 Years," IMF Working Papers 01/174, International Monetary Fund.
- Froot, Kenneth A. & Kim, Michael & Rogoff, Kenneth, 1995. "The Law of One Price Over 700 Years," Working Papers 95-13, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- MacKinnon, James G, 1994. "Approximate Asymptotic Distribution Functions for Unit-Root and Cointegration Tests," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 12(2), pages 167-176, April.
- James G. MacKinnon, 1992. "Approximate Asymptotic Distribution Functions for Unit Roots and Cointegration Tests," Working Papers 861, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Barry K. Goodwin & Ted C. Schroeder, 1991. "Price Dynamics in International Wheat Markets," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 39(2), pages 237-254, 07.
- Schroeder, Ted C. & Goodwin, Barry K., 1990. "Price Dynamics in International Wheat Markets," Staff Papers 118178, Kansas State University, Department of Agricultural Economics.
- Bradshaw, Girard W. & Orden, David, 1990. "Granger Causality From The Exchange Rate To Agricultural Prices And Export Sales," Western Journal of Agricultural Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 15(01), July.
- Maloney, William F, 1999. "Exchange Rate Uncertainty and the Law of One Price," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 7(2), pages 328-341, May.
- Colin A. Carter & Neil A. Hamilton, 1989. "Wheat inputs and the law of one price," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 5(5), pages 489-496.
- Samarendu Mohanty & E. Wesley F. Peterson & Damell B. Smith, 1996. "Relationships between U.S. and Canadian Wheat Prices: Cointegration and Error Correction Approach," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 44(3), pages 265-276, November.
- Colin A. Carter & Richard S. Gray & W. H. Furtan, 1990. "Exchange Rate Effects on Inputs and Outputs in Canadian Agriculture," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 72(3), pages 738-743. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)