Perfect Cross-Hedging Opportunities Via Formula Pricing: The Case Of The Broiler Industry
One supplier of broilers without giblets (WOGs) offers customers a choice between paying Urner Barry's WOG quote or a formula price based on futures prices. From a buyer's perspective, the formula price is second-degree stochastic dominant, thus acting a marketing inducement. The formula price allows the seller to set almost perfect cross-hedges of WOGs with corn and soymeal. Stochastic dominance results suggested that the seller's dominant strategy would shift from the unhedged Urner Barry quote to the unhedged formula price as risk aversion increased. The hedged formula price was prominent in optimal portfolios of pricing strategies.
|Date of creation:||2000|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Love, Ross O. & Robison, Lindon J., 1984.
"An Empirical Analysis Of The Intertemporal Stability Of Risk Preference,"
Southern Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 16(01), July.
- Love, Ross O. & Robison, Lindon J., 1982. "An Empirical Analysis of the Intertemporal Stability of Risk Preferences," Staff Papers 200660, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Satheesh V. Aradhyula & Matthew T. Holt, 1988.
"Risk Behavior and Rational Expectations in the U.S. Broiler Market,"
Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications
88-wp33, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Aradhyula, Satheesh V. & Holt, Matthew, 1989. "Risk Behavior and Rational Expectations in the U.S. Broiler Market," Staff General Research Papers 274, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Satheesh V. Aradhyula & Matthew T. Holt, 1988. "Risk Behavior and Rational Expectations in the U.S. Broiler Market," Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) Publications 88-wp33, Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) at Iowa State University.
- Harwood, Joy L. & Heifner, Richard G. & Coble, Keith H. & Perry, Janet E. & Somwaru, Agapi, 1999. "Managing Risk in Farming: Concepts, Research, and Analysis," Agricultural Economics Reports 34081, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- McCarl, Bruce A. & Bessler, David A., 1989.
"Estimating An Upper Bound On The Pratt Risk A Version Coefficient When The Utility Function Is Unknown,"
Australian Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 33(01), April.
- Bruce A. McCarl & David A. Bessler, 1989. "Estimating An Upper Bound On The Pratt Risk A Version Coefficient When The Utility Function Is Unknown," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 33(1), pages 56-63, 04.
- Meyer, Jack, 1977. "Choice among distributions," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 326-336, April.
- Maynard, Leigh J., 1997. "Price Discovery In The Egg Industry," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 26(1), April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aaea00:21765. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.