The Impact of Surplus Schooling on Earnings: Some Additional Findings II
This paper proposes a new statistical measure of the overeducation phenomenon. From Stochastic Production Frontiers (SPF), we use e¢ ciency score between schooling and earning to assess worker mismatches. Based on the French case, our measure reveals an overestimation of the overeducation extent, in comparison to the traditional measures.Following our econometric model, SPF approaches provide better estimation results on probit and earning function. Moreover, our approach shows that traditional measures overestimate also the wage penalties of overeducation. Thus, we point out that previous studies overestimate the dimishing returns of education and they have, conversely, understated the role of human capital.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Séamus McGuinness, 2006. "Overeducation in the Labour Market," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 20(3), pages 387-418, 07.
- Jean-Pascal Guironnet, 2005.
"La sur-éducation en France : vers une dévalorisation des diplômes du supérieur ?,"
05-04, LAMETA, Universtiy of Montpellier, revised Jan 2005.
- Jean-Pascal Guironnet, 2005. "La suréducation en France : Vers une dévalorisation des diplômes du supérieur ?," Working Papers 05-10, Association Française de Cliométrie (AFC).
- Groot, Wim & Maassen van den Brink, Henriette, 2000. "Overeducation in the labor market: a meta-analysis," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 149-158, April.
- Guironnet, J.-P. & Peypoch, N., 2007. "Human capital allocation and overeducation: A measure of French productivity (1987, 1999)," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 398-410, May.
- Hersch, Joni, 1991. "Education Match and Job Match," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 73(1), pages 140-44, February.
- Russell W. Rumberger, 1987. "The Impact of Surplus Schooling on Productivity and Earnings," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 22(1), pages 24-50.
- Jean-François Giret & Philippe Lemistre, 2004.
"Le déclassement à l'embauche des jeunes: vers un changement de la valeur des diplômes?,"
Brussels Economic Review,
ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles, vol. 47(3-4), pages 483-504.
- Jean-François Giret & Philippe Lemistre, 2004. "Le déclassement à l'embauche des jeunes : vers un changement de la valeur des diplômes ?," Post-Print halshs-00079158, HAL.
- Card, David, 2001.
"Estimating the Return to Schooling: Progress on Some Persistent Econometric Problems,"
Econometric Society, vol. 69(5), pages 1127-60, September.
- David Card, 2000. "Estimating the Return to Schooling: Progress on Some Persistent Econometric Problems," NBER Working Papers 7769, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Arnaud Chevalier, 2003. "Measuring Over-education," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 70(279), pages 509-531, 08.
- Alfonso Alba-Ramírez, 1993. "Mismatch in the Spanish Labor Market: Overeducation?," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 28(2), pages 259-278.
- Haskel, Jonathan & Heden, Ylva, 1999. "Computers and the Demand for Skilled Labour: Industry- and Establishment-Level Panel Evidence for the UK," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 109(454), pages C68-79, March.
- Frank, Robert H, 1978. "Why Women Earn Less: The Theory and Estimation of Differential Overqualification," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 68(3), pages 360-73, June.
- George E. Battese & Greg S. Corra, 1977. "Estimation Of A Production Frontier Model: With Application To The Pastoral Zone Of Eastern Australia," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 21(3), pages 169-179, December.
- Falk, Martin & Koebel, Bertrand, 2003.
"The Impact of Office Machinery and Computer Capital on the Demand for Heterogeneous Labour,"
IZA Discussion Papers
873, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Falk, Martin & Koebel, Bertrand M., 2004. "The impact of office machinery, and computer capital on the demand for heterogeneous labour," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 99-117, February.
- Falk, Martin, 2001. "The impact of office machinery and computer capital on the demand for heterogeneous labor," ZEW Discussion Papers 01-66, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Groeneveld, Sandra & Hartog, Joop, 2003.
"Overeducation, Wages and Promotions within the Firm,"
IZA Discussion Papers
883, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Groeneveld, Sandra & Hartog, Joop, 2004. "Overeducation, wages and promotions within the firm," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(6), pages 701-714, December.
- Jacob A. Mincer, 1974. "Schooling, Experience, and Earnings," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number minc74-1, October.
- Jacob A. Mincer, 1974. "Introduction to "Schooling, Experience, and Earnings"," NBER Chapters, in: Schooling, Experience, and Earnings, pages 1-4 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Battese, George E. & Corra, Greg S., 1977. "Estimation Of A Production Frontier Model: With Application To The Pastoral Zone Of Eastern Australia," Australian Journal of Agricultural Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 21(03), December.
- Alain Mingat & Jean-Pierre Jarousse, 1986. "Un réexamen du modèle de gains de Mincer," Revue Économique, Programme National Persée, vol. 37(6), pages 999-1032.
- Hartog, Joop, 2000. "Over-education and earnings: where are we, where should we go?," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 131-147, April.
- Kodde, David A & Palm, Franz C, 1986. "Wald Criteria for Jointly Testing Equality and Inequality Restriction s," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 54(5), pages 1243-48, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:afc:wpaper:08-04. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.