Economic contributions and characteristics of grapes and wine in AustraliaÂ’s wine regions
Over the past two decades, the Australian wine industry has been through a remarkable period of export-oriented growth. Even when vines for drying and table grapes are included, the vineyard area in Australia has trebled over the 20 vintages to 2008, the biggest surge in AustraliaÂ’s history. In the first half of the 1980s, barely 2 percent of the countryÂ’s wine production was exported, which was less than the volume it imported. Today, nearly two-thirds of AustraliaÂ’s production is exported Â– and production itself has increased nearly four-fold since the early 1980s. Prepared for the Grape and Wine Research and Development Corporation (GWRDC), Winemakers Federation of Australia (WFA) and the Australian Wine and Brandy Corporation (AWBC). The authors are grateful for funding from GWRDC (Project Number UA08/04) and the University of AdelaideÂ’s Wine2030 project, and for helpful comments from Leanne Webb of CSIRO, Jim Fortune, and members of the projectÂ’s Industry Reference Group.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2009|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Adelaide SA 5005|
Phone: (+ 61 8) 8303 5672
Fax: (+ 61 8) 8223 1460
Web page: http://www.adelaide.edu.au/cies/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mark Horridge & Glyn Wittwer, 2008. "Creating and managing an impossibly large CGE database that is up-to-date," Centre of Policy Studies/IMPACT Centre Working Papers g-175, Victoria University, Centre of Policy Studies/IMPACT Centre.
- Jaffe, Adam B, 1989. "Real Effects of Academic Research," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(5), pages 957-970, December.
- Adam B. Jaffe, 1986.
"Technological Opportunity and Spillovers of R&D: Evidence from Firms' Patents, Profits and Market Value,"
NBER Working Papers
1815, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jaffe, Adam B, 1986. "Technological Opportunity and Spillovers of R&D: Evidence from Firms' Patents, Profits, and Market Value," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 76(5), pages 984-1001, December.
- Kym Anderson, . "Terroir rising? Varietal and quality distinctiveness of Australia's wine regions," Enometrica, Enometrica - Review of the Vineyard Data Quantification Society (VDQS) and the European Association of Wine Economists (EuAWE) - Macerata University, Faculty of Communications.
- Kym Anderson, 2009.
"Terroir Rising? Varietal and Quality Distinctiveness of AustraliaÂ’s Wine Regions,"
School of Economics Working Papers
2009-18, University of Adelaide, School of Economics.
- Anderson, Kym, 2009. "Terroir rising? Varietal and quality distinctiveness of Australia’s wine regions," 2009 Conference (53rd), February 11-13, 2009, Cairns, Australia 48050, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:adl:cieswp:2009-01. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dmitriy Kvasov)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.