Identification of Insurance Models with Multidimensional Screening
We study the identification of an insurance model with multidimensional screening, where insurees are characterized by risk and risk aversion. The model is solved using the concept of certainty equivalence under constant absolute risk aversion and an unspecified joint distribution of risk and risk aversion. The paper then analyzes how data availability constraints identification under four data scenarios from the ideal situation to a more realistic one. The observed number of accidents for each insuree plays a key role to identify the model. In a first part, we consider the case of a continuum of coverages offered to each insuree whether the damage distribution is fully observed or truncated. Truncation arises from that an insuree files a claim only when the accident involves a damage above the deductible. Despite bunching due to multidimensional screening, we show that the joint distribution of risk and risk aversion is identified. In a second part, we consider the case of a finite number of coverages offered to each insuree. When the full damage distribution is observed, we show that despite additional pooling due to the finite number of contracts, the joint distribution of risk and risk aversion is identified under a full support assumption and a conditional independence assumption involving the car characteristics. When the damage distribution is truncated, the joint distribution is identified up to the probability that the damage is above the deductible. In a third part, we derive the restrictions imposed by the model on observables for the fourth scenario. We also propose several identification strategies for the damage probability at the deductible. These identification results are further exploited in a companion paper developing an estimation method with an application to insurance data
|Date of creation:||Feb 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +61 2 6125 3807
Fax: +61 2 6125 0744
Web page: http://rse.anu.edu.au/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Athey, Susan & Haile, Philip A., 2007. "Nonparametric Approaches to Auctions," Handbook of Econometrics, in: J.J. Heckman & E.E. Leamer (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 6, chapter 60 Elsevier.
- Heckman, James J., 2001. "Econometrics and empirical economics," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 100(1), pages 3-5, January.
- Jean-Charles Rochet & Philippe Chone, 1998. "Ironing, Sweeping, and Multidimensional Screening," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 66(4), pages 783-826, July.
- Lewbel, Arthur, 2000.
"Semiparametric qualitative response model estimation with unknown heteroscedasticity or instrumental variables,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 97(1), pages 145-177, July.
- Arthur Lewbel, 1999. "Semiparametric Qualitative Response Model Estimation with Unknown Heteroskedasticity or Instrumental Variables," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 454, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Pierre-André Chiappori & Bernard Salanié, 1997.
"Testing for Asymmetric Information in Insurance Markets,"
97-11, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Pierre-Andre Chiappori & Bernard Salanie, 2000. "Testing for Asymmetric Information in Insurance Markets," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 108(1), pages 56-78, February.
- Victor Chernozhukov & Han Hong & Elie Tamer, 2007. "Estimation and Confidence Regions for Parameter Sets in Econometric Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 75(5), pages 1243-1284, 09.
- Pedro Carneiro & Karsten T. Hansen & James J. Heckman, 2003. "Estimating Distributions of Treatment Effects with an Application to the Returns to Schooling and Measurement of the Effects of Uncertainty on College," NBER Working Papers 9546, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Emmanuel Guerre & Isabelle Perrigne & Quang Vuong, 2009. "Nonparametric Identification of Risk Aversion in First-Price Auctions Under Exclusion Restrictions," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 77(4), pages 1193-1227, 07.
- Matzkin, Rosa L., 1993. "Nonparametric identification and estimation of polychotomous choice models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 58(1-2), pages 137-168, July.
- Sandra Campo & Emmanuel Guerre & Isabelle Perrigne & Quang Vuong, 2003. "Semiparametric Estimation of First-price Auctions with Risk Averse Bidders," Working Papers 2003-09, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Guerre, E. & Perrigne, I. & Vuong, Q., 1995. "Nonparametric Estimation of First-Price Auctions," Papers 9504, Southern California - Department of Economics.
- Philip A. Haile & Elie Tamer, 2003.
"Inference with an Incomplete Model of English Auctions,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 111(1), pages 1-51, February.
- Philip Haile, 2000. "Inference with an Incomplete Model of English Auctions," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 1546, Econometric Society.
- Haile,P.A. & Tamer,E.T., 2000. "Inference with an incomplete model of English auctions," Working papers 18, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- Su, Liangjun & White, Halbert, 2008. "A Nonparametric Hellinger Metric Test For Conditional Independence," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 24(04), pages 829-864, August.
- Matzkin, Rosa L, 1992. "Nonparametric and Distribution-Free Estimation of the Binary Threshold Crossing and the Binary Choice Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 60(2), pages 239-70, March.
- Gaurab Aryal & Isabelle Perrigne & Quang Vuong, 2011. "Nonidentification of Insurance Models with Probability of Accidents," ANU Working Papers in Economics and Econometrics 2011-552, Australian National University, College of Business and Economics, School of Economics.
- Donald J. Brown & Marten H. Wegkamp, 2001.
"Weighted Minimum Mean-Square Distance from Independence Estimation,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1288, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Donald J. Brown & Marten H. Wegkamp, 2002. "Weighted Minimum Mean-Square Distance from Independence Estimation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 70(5), pages 2035-2051, September.
- Phillip Leslie, 2004. "Price Discrimination in Broadway Theater," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 35(3), pages 520-541, Autumn.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:acb:cbeeco:2011-538. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.