The Role of Central Banks in Sustaining Economic Recovery and in Achieving Financial Stability
Whenever a financial crisis occurs, threatening a possible financial meltdown, central banks have to be at the forefront in combating, neutralizing the crisis and restoring financial stability and economic growth. In this regard, the present sub-prime crisis which originated from the US highlights a few key issues for SEACEN central banks. This paper reviews the policy responses to the crisis which include exit policy strategies from stimulus monetary packages. To strengthen the soundness of the financial system going forward, the paper also highlights counter-cyclical and macro-prudential regulations that central banks may want to actively look into. These include cross-border policy cooperation and coordination, particularly in the form of the college of supervisors. (This paper has also been published in the Journal of Advanced Studies in Finance, Vol.1, Issue1(1), Summer 2010, http://www.asers.eu/journals/jasf/)
|This book is provided by South East Asian Central Banks (SEACEN) Research and Training Centre in its series Staff Papers with number sp74 and published in 2010.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 603-9195 1888
Fax: 603-9195 1801
Web page: http://edirc.repec.org/data/seacemy.html
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Claudio Borio & Ilhyock Shim, 2007. "What can (macro-)prudential policy do to support monetary policy?," BIS Working Papers 242, Bank for International Settlements.
- Douglas W. Diamond & Raghuram G. Rajan, 2003.
"Money in a Theory of Banking,"
NBER Working Papers
10070, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Yilmaz Akyuz, 2008. "The Current Global Financial Turmoil and Asian Developing Countries," Working Papers 2008/15, Turkish Economic Association.
- Beverly Hirtle & Til Schuermann & Kevin Stiroh, 2009. "Macroprudential supervision of financial institutions: lessons from the SCAP," Staff Reports 409, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Erlend Nier, 2009. "Financial Stability Frameworks and the Role of Central Banks; Lessons From the Crisis," IMF Working Papers 09/70, International Monetary Fund.
- Yılmaz AKYÜZ, 2008. "The current global financial turmoil and Asian developing countries," Iktisat Isletme ve Finans, Bilgesel Yayincilik, vol. 23(273), pages 7-49.
- Ben S. Bernanke & Mark Gertler, 2001. "Should Central Banks Respond to Movements in Asset Prices?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 91(2), pages 253-257, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:sea:spaper:sp74. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Yunyee)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.