Private and public incentive to reduce seasonality: A theoretical model
In this article, the authors present a theoretical model to investigate the private and social incentives to reduce seasonality in a given market. They assume that consumers derive different utilities from the consumption of the same good in different seasons. The seasonal product differentiation is modelled along the lines of Gabszewicz and Thisse (Price Competition, Quality and Income Disparities, 1979) and Shaked and Sutton (Relaxing Price Competition through Product Differentiation, 1982). The authors assume that it is possible for a firm to invest in order to reduce the degree of the demand seasonality. They show that, for a wide set of parameter configuration, the optimal effort to reduce seasonality is higher from a social welfare perspective, as compared to the private producer perspective. The tourism market can represent an application of the present model. However, unlike most available literature in this field, their model provides a microeconomic basis for the evaluation of investments aimed at reducing seasonality, rather than taking a macroeconomic approach.
Volume (Year): 6 (2012)
Issue (Month): ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 431 8814-1
Fax: +49 431 8814528
Web page: http://www.economics-ejournal.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521565882 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521562607 is not listed on IDEAS
- Shaked, Avner & Sutton, John, 1982. "Relaxing Price Competition through Product Differentiation," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(1), pages 3-13, January.
- Javier Capó Parrilla & Antoni Riera Font & Jaume Rosselló Nadal, 2006. "The Accommodation Determinants of Seasonal Patterns," CRE Working Papers (Documents de treball del CRE) 2006/01, Centre de Recerca Econòmica (UIB ·"Sa Nostra"), revised Feb 2006.
- GABSZEWICZ, Jean J. & THISSE, Jacques-François, .
"Price competition, quality and income disparities,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-370, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- GABSZEWICZ, Jean, 2009. "A note on price competition in product differentiation models," CORE Discussion Papers 2009058, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:ifweej:201243. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.