Unplugged!: An analysis of agricultural biotechnology PPPs in Kenya
The last two decades have seen an increase in the formation of public private partnerships (PPPs) in agricultural biotechnology generally. This article presents a normative understanding of the genesis of PPPs and how they should behave. It examines agricultural biotechnology PPPs in Kenya and argues that they do not reflect the theory particularly with regard to the drivers of the partnerships. These PPPs owe their formation and execution to factors outside the partnerships. These exogenous factors are inappropriate and are in part responsible for the PPPs' limited effect in meeting food security related objectives. Copyright © 2010 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Volume (Year): 22 (2010)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/5102/home|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hall, Andrew & Bockett, Geoffrey & Taylor, Sarah & Sivamohan, M. V. K . & Clark, Norman, 2001. "Why Research Partnerships Really Matter: Innovation Theory, Institutional Arrangements and Implications for Developing New Technology for the Poor," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 29(5), pages 783-797, May.
- Williamson, Oliver E, 1979. "Transaction-Cost Economics: The Governance of Contractural Relations," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 22(2), pages 233-261, October.
- Andy Hall, 2005. "Capacity development for agricultural biotechnology in developing countries: an innovation systems view of what it is and how to develop it," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 17(5), pages 611-630.
- Joanna Chataway, 2005. "Introduction: is it possible to create pro-poor agriculture-related biotechnology?," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 17(5), pages 597-610.
- Spielman, David J. & von Grebmer, Klaus, 2004. "Public-private partnerships in agricultural research: an analysis of challenges facing industry and the Consultative Group on International Agricultural Research," EPTD discussion papers 113, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Spielman, David J. & Hartwich, Frank & von Grebmer, Klaus, 2007. "Public–private partnerships in international agricultural research:," Research briefs 9, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Carl E. Pray, 2001. "Public-Private Sector Linkages in Research and Development: Biotechnology and the Seed Industry in Brazil, China and India," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(3), pages 742-747.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wly:jintdv:v:22:y:2010:i:3:p:289-307. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.