Foreign direct investment in small island developing states
The role of foreign direct investment (FDI) in small island developing states (SIDS) is an issue that has been neglected until relatively recently. The reasons for this lack of interest are unsurprising, given both the low absolute volume of capital flows involved and the general neglect of issues relating directly to SIDS in the mainstream theoretical and empirical economics literature. For SIDS themselves however, FDI represents an important additional source of investment capital and a potentially critical contributor to growth and development. This paper represents one of the first attempts to analyse the determinants of the inflows of FDI to SIDS. The analysis is undertaken in the context of the existing literature on the determinants of FDI inflows, incorporating insights drawn from recent research on the determinants of growth in small states. Copyright © 2008 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Volume (Year): 20 (2008)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/5102/home|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- de Mello, Luiz R, Jr, 1999.
"Foreign Direct Investment-Led Growth: Evidence from Time Series and Panel Data,"
Oxford Economic Papers,
Oxford University Press, vol. 51(1), pages 133-151, January.
- L.R. de Mello Jr., 1996. "Foreign Direct Investment-Led Growth: Evidence from Time Series and Panel Data," Studies in Economics 9615, School of Economics, University of Kent.
- Borensztein, E. & De Gregorio, J. & Lee, J-W., 1998. "How does foreign direct investment affect economic growth?1," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 115-135, June.
- Eduardo Borensztein & Jose De Gregorio & Jong-Wha Lee, 1995. "How Does Foreign Direct Investment Affect Economic Growth?," NBER Working Papers 5057, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Armstrong, H. & De Kervenoael, R. J. & Li, X. & Read, R., 1998. "A comparison of the economic performance of different micro-states, and between micro-states and larger countries," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 639-656, April.
- H Armstrong, R de Kervenoael, Xiao-Ming Li and R Read, "undated". "A Comparision of the economic performance of different micro-states and between micro-states and larger countries," Working Papers ec9/97, Department of Economics, University of Lancaster.
- David W Loree & Stephen E Guisinger, 1995. "Policy and Non-Policy Determinants of U.S. Equity Foreign Direct Investment," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 26(2), pages 281-299, June.
- Armstrong, H W & Read, R, 2000. "Comparing the Economic Performance of Dependent Territories and Sovereign Microstates," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 48(2), pages 285-306, January.
- Steven Globerman & Daniel M Shapiro, 1999. "The Impact of Government Policies on Foreign Direct Investment: The Canadian Experience," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 30(3), pages 513-532, September. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)