Domestic Investment And Fdi In Developing Countries: The Missing Link
This paper investigates the impact of domestic investment on Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) to Developing Countries (DC). While the literature has provided numerous studies on the effects of FDI on growth and investment in host-country, very little is known about how domestic investment itself affects FDI inflows. The paper attempted to fill this gap. Evidence from a large cross-country sample (68 countries), over a long time period (1984-2004), shows that lagged domestic investment has a strong influence on FDI inflows in the host-economy, implying that domestic investment is a strong catalyst for FDI in DC and that Multinational Companies do follow economic development. This result suggests that investment promotion policies directed towards domestic firms will be efficient to attract foreign investors as well.
Volume (Year): 37 (2012)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.jed.or.kr/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Imad A Moosa & Buly A Cardak, 2003.
"The Determinants of Foreign Direct Investment: An Extreme Bounds Analysis,"
2003.02, School of Economics, La Trobe University.
- Moosa, Imad A. & Cardak, Buly A., 2006. "The determinants of foreign direct investment: An extreme bounds analysis," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 199-211, April.
- Léonce Ndikumana & Sher Verick, 2008.
"The Linkages Between FDI and Domestic Investment: Unravelling the Developmental Impact of Foreign Investment in Sub-Saharan Africa,"
Development Policy Review,
Overseas Development Institute, vol. 26(6), pages 713-726, November.
- Ndikumana, Leonce & Verick, Sher, 2008. "The Linkages between FDI and Domestic Investment: Unravelling the Developmental Impact of Foreign Investment in Sub-Saharan Africa," IZA Discussion Papers 3296, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Manuel Agosin & Roberto Machado, 2005.
"Foreign Investment in Developing Countries: Does it Crowd in Domestic Investment?,"
Oxford Development Studies,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 33(2), pages 149-162.
- Manuel R. AGOSIN & Ricardo MAYER, 2000. "Foreign Investment In Developing Countries, Does It Crowd In Domestic Investment?," UNCTAD Discussion Papers 146, United Nations Conference on Trade and Development.
- Ali F. Darrat & Jayanta Sarkar, 2009. "Growth Consequences Of Foreign Direct Investment: Some Results For Turkey," Journal of Economic Development, Chung-Ang Unviersity, Department of Economics, vol. 34(2), pages 85-96, December.
- Findlay, Ronald, 1978. "Relative Backwardness, Direct Foreign Investment, and the Transfer of Technology: A Simple Dynamic Model," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 92(1), pages 1-16, February.
- Adugna Lemi, 2004. "Foreign Direct Investment, Host Country Productivity And Export: The Case Of U.S. And Japanese Multinational Affiliates," Journal of Economic Development, Chung-Ang Unviersity, Department of Economics, vol. 29(1), pages 163-187, June.
- David W Loree & Stephen E Guisinger, 1995. "Policy and Non-Policy Determinants of U.S. Equity Foreign Direct Investment," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 26(2), pages 281-299, June.
- Sandrine Levasseur, 2002.
"Investissements directs à l'étranger et stratégies des entreprises multinationales,"
Revue de l'OFCE,
Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 0(5), pages 103-152.
- Sandrine Levasseur, 2002. "Investissements directs à l’étranger et stratégies des entreprises multinationales," Sciences Po publications info:hdl:2441/3381, Sciences Po.
- James R. Markusen & Anthony J. Venables, 1997.
"Foreign Direct Investment as a Catalyst for Industrial Development,"
NBER Working Papers
6241, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Markusen, James R. & Venables, Anthony J., 1999. "Foreign direct investment as a catalyst for industrial development," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 335-356, February.
- Sufian Eltayeb Mohamed & Moise G. Sidiropoulos, 2010. "Another Look At The Determinants Of Foreign Direct Investment In Mena Countries: An Empirical Investigation," Journal of Economic Development, Chung-Ang Unviersity, Department of Economics, vol. 35(2), pages 75-95, June.
- Léonce Ndikumana & Sher Verick, 2007. "The Linkages between FDI and Domestic Investment: Unravelling the Developmental Impact of Foreign Investment," UMASS Amherst Economics Working Papers 2007-13, University of Massachusetts Amherst, Department of Economics.
- Ann Harrison & Ana Revenga, 1995. "The Effects of Trade Policy Reform: What Do We Really Know?," NBER Working Papers 5225, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Peter Nunnenkamp, Julius Spatz, 2003. "Foreign Direct Investment and Economic Growth in Developing Countries: How Relevant Are Host-country and Industry Characteristics?," Kiel Working Papers 1176, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Li, Xiaoying & Liu, Xiaming, 2005. "Foreign Direct Investment and Economic Growth: An Increasingly Endogenous Relationship," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 33(3), pages 393-407, March.
- Peter Nunnenkamp, 2002.
"Determinants of FDI in Developing Countries: Has Globalization Changed the Rules of the Game?,"
Kiel Working Papers
1122, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Nunnenkamp, Peter & Spatz, Julius, 2002. "Determinants of FDI in Developing Countries: Has Globalization Changed the Rules of the Game?," Open Access Publications from Kiel Institute for the World Economy 2976, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jed:journl:v:37:y:2012:i:3:p:1-23. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Changhui Kang)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.