Policy analysis matrices: beyond simple sensitivity analysis
As an analytical methodology, the Policy Analysis Matrix (PAM) can be used to provide indicators of the incentives faced by producers in a given policy and institutional environment. However, the methodology suffers from the limitation that the analyst is unable to attach any level of confidence to the results, other than that generated through sensitivity analysis. In this paper the technique of bootstrapping is introduced as a general method for assessing the degree of uncertainty surrounding indicators derived from PAMs. The example of wheat production in Slovakia is used to demonstrate the usefulness of the additional information generated by this approach. Copyright © 2002 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Volume (Year): 14 (2002)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/5102/home|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nick Vink & Gavin Williams & Johann Kirsten, 2004.
in: The World's Wine Markets, chapter 12
Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Yao, Shujie, 1997. "Rice production in Thailand seen through a policy analysis matrix," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 22(6), pages 547-560, December.
- Shujie Yao, 1997. "Comparative Advantages And Crop Diversification: A Policy Analysis Matrix For Thai Agriculture," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 48(1-3), pages 211-222.
- K. G. Balcombe & L. E. D. Smith, 1999. "Refining the use of Monte Carlo techniques for risk analysis in project planning," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(2), pages 113-135.
- Kydd, Jonathan & Pearce, Richard & Stockbridge, Michael, 1997. "The economic analysis of commodity systems: Extending the Policy Analysis Matrix to account for environmental effects and transactions costs," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 55(2), pages 323-345, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wly:jintdv:v:14:y:2002:i:4:p:459-471. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.