Globalization, industrial development and the plastics industry in South Africa
Through a study of the plastics sector in South Africa, the article critically examines the globalization position that greater openness yields gains from exports and foreign direct investment. Analysis of firm-level data reveals that the depth and extent of the internationalization of production depends on the production capabilities of firms and their position and bargaining power in the supply-chain. It is argued that liberalization does not necessarily mean that international relationships will be deepened and that a coherent industrial policy is important in the realization of the potential gains from such internationalization. Copyright © 2001 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Volume (Year): 13 (2001)
Issue (Month): 6 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/5102/home|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Amsden, Alice H., 1997. "Editorial: Bringing production back in -- Understanding Government's economic role in late industrialization," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 25(4), pages 469-480, January.
- S. Baranzoni & P. Bianchi & L. Lambertini, 2000. "Market Structure," Working Papers 368, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521771337 is not listed on IDEAS
- Markusen, James R., 2002.
"Multinational Firms and the Theory of International Trade,"
8380, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- James R. Markusen, 2004. "Multinational Firms and the Theory of International Trade," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262633078, June.
- Habib, Adam & Padayachee, Vishnu, 2000. "Economic Policy and Power Relations in South Africa's Transition to Democracy," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 245-263, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wly:jintdv:v:13:y:2001:i:6:p:797-810. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.