A dynamic analysis of GP visiting in Ireland: 1995-2001
This paper examines the determinants of GP visiting in Ireland, using panel data from the Living in Ireland Survey from 1995-2001. While cross-sectional studies provide important information on GP visiting patterns at a certain point in time, with panel data we can also control for unobserved individual heterogeneity, as well as identify whether it is the same individuals who consistently visit their GP year on year, or whether there is more mobility in visiting. We therefore estimate dynamic models of GP utilisation, and attempt to decompose the observed variation in GP visiting into components attributable to observed individual characteristics, unobserved individual heterogeneity and state dependence. Copyright © 2006 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Volume (Year): 16 (2007)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/jhome/5749|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:ner:tilbur:urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-153280 is not listed on IDEAS
- Paul Contoyannis & Andrew M. Jones & Nigel Rice, 2004. "The dynamics of health in the British Household Panel Survey," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 19(4), pages 473-503.
- David Madden, 2007.
"Doctors' Fees in Ireland Following the Change in Reimbursement: Did they Jump?,"
The Economic and Social Review,
Economic and Social Studies, vol. 38(2), pages 259-274.
- David Madden, 2005. "Doctors’ Fees in Ireland Following the Change in Reimbursement - Did They Jump?," Working Papers 200520, School Of Economics, University College Dublin.
- Teresa Bago d’Uva, 2005.
"Latent class models for utilisation of health care,"
Health, Econometrics and Data Group (HEDG) Working Papers
05/01, HEDG, c/o Department of Economics, University of York.
- Teresa Bago d'Uva, 2006. "Latent class models for utilisation of health care," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(4), pages 329-343.
- Verbeek, M. & Nijman, T., 1990.
"Testing For Selectivity Bias In Panel Data Models,"
9018, Tilburg - Center for Economic Research.
- Cameron, A C & P. K. Trivedi & Frank Milne & J. Piggott, 1988. "A Microeconometric Model of the Demand for Health Care and Health Insurance in Australia," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 55(1), pages 85-106, January.
- Hurd, Michael D. & McGarry, Kathleen, 1997. "Medical insurance and the use of health care services by the elderly," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 129-154, April.
- Winfried Pohlmeier & Volker Ulrich, 1995. "An Econometric Model of the Two-Part Decisionmaking Process in the Demand for Health Care," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 30(2), pages 339-361.
- Sergi Jiménez-Mart�n & José M. Labeaga & Maite Mart�nez-Granado, 2002. "Latent class versus two-part models in the demand for physician services across the European Union," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(4), pages 301-321.
- Nolan, Brian, 1993. "Economic incentives, health status and health services utilisation," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 151-169, July.
- VAN OURTI, Tom, 2002. "Measuring horizontal inequity in health care using Belgian panel data," Working Papers 2002034, University of Antwerp, Faculty of Applied Economics.
- Katharina Hauck & Nigel Rice, 2004. "A longitudinal analysis of mental health mobility in Britain," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 13(10), pages 981-1001.
- Nijman, T.E. & Verbeek, M.J.C.M., 1992. "Testing for selectivity in panel data models," Other publications TiSEM 7ec34a6c-1d84-4052-971c-d, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Martin Schellhorn, 2001. "The effect of variable health insurance deductibles on the demand for physician visits," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 10(5), pages 441-456.
- Mundlak, Yair, 1978. "On the Pooling of Time Series and Cross Section Data," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(1), pages 69-85, January.
- Tussing, A. Dale, 1985. "Irish Medical Care Resources: An Economic Analysis," Research Series, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI), number GRS126.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wly:hlthec:v:16:y:2007:i:2:p:129-143. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.