Value of advertising by food manufacturers as investment in intangible capital
We use Tobin's q model to investigate the impact of food manufacturers' advertising as an investment in intangible capital. Intangible capital value created by advertising relates to expected growth and economic rents derived from brand equity. We study the relations between advertising and firm value under varying economic and consumer food market conditions from 1973 to 1991. We find that food manufacturing firms' advertising activity is strongly related to intangible capital value during the high value-added food product proliferation of the 1980s, and during recessions, including the 1990 to 1991 recession when consumers resisted higher margin, branded food products. © 1996 John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Volume (Year): 12 (1996)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/(ISSN)1520-6297|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Olive Chiboola & Bruce Bjornson, 1996. "Market environment and valuation of invested capital in food manufacturing and distribution industries," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 12(2), pages 135-146.
- Tobin, James, 1969. "A General Equilibrium Approach to Monetary Theory," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 1(1), pages 15-29, February.
- Megna, Pamela & Klock, Mark, 1993. "The Impact on Intangible Capital on Tobin's q in the Semiconductor Industry," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 83(2), pages 265-69, May.
- repec:fth:michin:282 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wly:agribz:v:12:y:1996:i:2:p:147-156. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.