Climate Change and Housing Prices: Hedonic Estimates for Ski Resorts in Western North America
We apply a hedonic framework to estimate and simulate the impact of global warming on real estate prices near ski resorts in the western United States and Canada. Using data on housing values for selected U.S. Census tracts and individual home sales in four locations, combined with detailed weather data and characteristics of nearby ski resorts, we find precise and consistent estimates of positive snowfall effects on housing values. Simulations based on these estimates reveal substantial heterogeneity in the likely impact of climate change across regions, including large reductions in home prices near resorts where snow reliability already is low.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David Card & Alexandre Mas & Jesse Rothstein, 2008.
"Tipping and the Dynamics of Segregation,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 123(1), pages 177-218.
- David Card & Alexandre Mas & Jesse Rothstein, 2007. "Tipping and the Dynamics of Segregation," NBER Working Papers 13052, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Edward L. Glaeser & Joseph Gyourko & Raven E. Saks, 2005. "Why Have Housing Prices Gone Up?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 95(2), pages 329-333, May.
- Edward L. Glaeser & Joseph Gyourko & Raven Saks, 2005. "Why Have Housing Prices Gone Up?," NBER Working Papers 11129, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Edward L. Glaeser & Joseph Gyourko & Raven E. Saks, 2005. "Why Have Housing Prices Gone Up?," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 2061, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- James G. Mulligan & Emmanuel Llinares, 2003. "Market Segmentation and the Diffusion of Quality-Enhancing Innovations: The Case of Downhill Skiing," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 85(3), pages 493-501, August.
- William C. Wheaton, 2005. "Ski Resort Real Estate: Does Supply prevent Appreciation?," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 27(1), pages 1-16.
- Linwood H. Pendleton & Robert Mendelsohn, 1998. "Estimating the Economic Impact of Climate Change on the Freshwater Sportsfisheries of the Northeastern U.S," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 74(4), pages 483-496.
- Van Butsic & Ellen Hanak & Robert G. Valletta, 2008. "Climate change and asset prices: hedonic estimates for North American ski resorts," Working Paper Series 2008-12, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)